kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 10-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Ambient

Default EVGA 1080 Overclocking

In the absence of a pascal bios editor yet, and the likelihood that we'll never see one, I've decided to ask here, if there's a special bios that's floating around that will allow for additional voltage / higher power limits for the EVGA cards.

ASUS made one for the STRIX, the T4 bios, and it's floating around, but....won't work on the EVGA cards.

I have two pretty good overclockers, FTW models under chilled water, and would love to be able push them just a little bit more without hardware mods.

Is there something like that flitting about somewhere that I can try?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:16 PM
PURE

hrmm FTW don't think so.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Ambient

And for the classy? Is there an updated voltage tool that will allow for a little bit extra voltage?

EDIT: It isn't looking like it does.

Man....NVIDIA really locked these cards down this gen.

Maybe AMD can come up with something that's fun to overclock again.

Last edited by Vellinious; 10-20-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

There are close to none benefits of even little bit extra voltage on 1080, including LN2 OC, leave alone air. This was covered for example here.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:13 AM
PURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellinious View Post
And for the classy? Is there an updated voltage tool that will allow for a little bit extra voltage?

EDIT: It isn't looking like it does.

Man....NVIDIA really locked these cards down this gen.

Maybe AMD can come up with something that's fun to overclock again.
I can say we are working on it for our future KP/custom design(s) going forward and yah, I've heard a lot of this lately from many end users unfortunately, especially about AMD's future offerings and what they might bring in terms of overclocking.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Ambient

Hi,

On PASCAL: It is not just about how much of a "gain" in FPS you get.

Its about the level of tweaking you get.

Or another way to put it; the "overclocking feature-set". Regardless of how much 3dmark points or FPS you gain.

The whole point in overclocking is you get to "play around" and see for yourself what works and what doesn't.

You experience the trial and error but more importantly you experience this yourself

There is something about the feeling of "being in control" of your hardware. Going a little beyond specification and "experimenting" to an overclocker can be a thrilling -- whether the end gains are 100FPS or 5 FPS.

Many of us just want to find out for ourselves; not just read "oh we've tried it this is covered in post ###". We want to experience the same as you experienced when you "found this out".

ASUS has released the T4/STRIX BIOS to their LN2 sponsors and one of these guys was kind enough to release this to the public. The voltage increase is only to 1.25v and has not harmed RMA targets.

95% of card models out there (from FE right up to EVGA FTW and even zotac cards) are all able to take advantage of this BIOS. However 1080 Classified cards are NOT compatible with T4 BIOS.

This means we now have a back-to-front situation where people with the Classified actually have LESS voltage control than owners of any other card in the EVGA line-up. (100% due to the fact that the ASUS T4 BIOS is compatible with all EVGA 1080 Cards EXCEPT the Classified). That situation is completely back-to-front.

Kingpin; please. Is there any way you could please release the BIOS that you used for your own LN2 benching on your EVGA Classified.

Thank you :-)

The release of this BIOS would seriously add value to a seriously devalued Classified 1080 Card. Mostly due to the back-to-front situation which I have described.

Many Classified owners are thinking of exchanging their cards for FTW's. In the 'GTX 1080 Owners Club' forum on overclock.net there are countless posts by FTW owners who have tried the T4 ASUS BIOS on their cards and who were able to break their own 'personal bests' on 3DMARK as a direct consequence. Maybe not by much. But enough to experience the "thrill".
Thanks again :-)

Last edited by nrpeyton; 11-09-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:29 PM
PURE

I'll see what can be done alright? I understand that overclockers like to tinker

Over 1.2v I think provides little to no benefit with pascal 1080 gpus on air. Most cards will hit the thermal throttling limit even at max stock p0 voltage on air cooler in a case before it will hit its "silicon limit". For daily use I can't really see much real world benefit to that on air cooler. Maybe with good WC temps the benefit slightly increases yah. Then on Ln2, card will need more. No OC/XOC bios out there probably because of overvoltaging issues/limitations whatever people want to call it with 1080. Ask any ln2 overclocker about 1080 and see what they say about how the card scales. Even on Ln2, these guys are using relatively very low voltages. I really could care less what other NVIDIA board partners do, that has nothing to do with my personal overclocking efforts or what goes on OC wise for evga customers (bios, fw, etc). We do our own thing here.

Higher pl might benefit more, not adding more heat to hard overclocked gpu. A 1080 at 2ghz+ with stock voltage and no power limit will just heat up and heat up until the clocks start to throttle. An increase in core voltage to 1.25v won't help that. NVIDIA released an amazing gpu that hits nearly 2.1ghz on air at such ridiculously low voltages. I never could of guessed this gen would be capable to match 980ti Ln2 clocks on air. That is crazy oc wise. Guess we just always want more huh?

Is there any OC/xoc bios floating around for classy at the moment?

I put up an evbot FW for 1080 classified

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 11-10-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
I'll see what can be done alright? I understand that overclockers like to tinker

Over 1.2v I think provides little to no benefit with pascal 1080 gpus on air. Most cards will hit the thermal throttling limit even at max stock p0 voltage on air cooler in a case before it will hit its "silicon limit". For daily use I can't really see much real world benefit to that on air cooler. Maybe with good WC temps the benefit slightly increases yah. Then on Ln2, card will need more. No OC/XOC bios out there probably because of overvoltaging issues/limitations whatever people want to call it with 1080. Ask any ln2 overclocker about 1080 and see what they say about how the card scales. Even on Ln2, these guys are using relatively very low voltages. I really could care less what other NVIDIA board partners do, that has nothing to do with my personal overclocking efforts or what goes on OC wise for evga customers (bios, fw, etc). We do our own thing here.

Higher pl might benefit more, not adding more heat to hard overclocked gpu. A 1080 at 2ghz+ with stock voltage and no power limit will just heat up and heat up until the clocks start to throttle. An increase in core voltage to 1.25v won't help that. NVIDIA released an amazing gpu that hits nearly 2.1ghz on air at such ridiculously low voltages. I never could of guessed this gen would be capable to match 980ti Ln2 clocks on air. That is crazy oc wise. Guess we just always want more huh?

Is there any OC/xoc bios floating around for classy at the moment?

I put up an evbot FW for 1080 classified

Hi Kingpin,

Thank you so much for your fast reply :-)

There is nothing floating around that is compatible with Classified 1080 cards. (Only with SC, FTW & FE cards is the ASUS/STRIX T4 BIOS compatible).

EVBOT is impossible to find.

I understand voltage doesn't do much for PASCAL beyond 1.25v

But 1080 Classified owners are BIOS limited to 1.093v

All other EVGA card owners (SC, FTW & even FE) have been using cross-flashed ASUS, STRIX T4 BIOS to get from 1.093v to 1.2v. (Some with more excellent results than others).

There are hundreds of posts on overclock.net where people are jumping onto the T4 BIOS bandwagon and cross-flashing their cards and posting back results.

Owners of these cards are having weeks/months of fun with this BIOS. It might only be getting them 100mhz but that 100mhz can make the difference between hitting the 2.2GHZ golden *even* number on their cards.

When you combine this with the new pascal 'Voltage/Offset Curve' overclocking method; that lets you test isolated segments of voltage and frequency offset (for the first time ever on PASCAL) this is giving weeks/months of overclocking fun.

SC, FTW and even 'Founders Edition' owners all have UP TO 1.2v.

But Classified owners only have UP TO 1.093v.

Due to Classified being the only EVGA 1080 card NOT compatible with the cross-flashed ASUS BIOS.

Thanks for the updated EVBOT; but I've looked on Ebay every day for two weeks. Nothing :-( ......I will keep looking :-)

KINGPIN>>> PASCAL - VOLTAGE/FREQUENCY CURVE FUN:

On PASCAL 100mhz is "our world". Veterans like yourself might be used to dealing with differences of 500mhz and that is "your world". But the weeks/months of tweaking fun can be exactly the same.
[/I]

This is segment of my voltage/frequency curve that I spent 3 weeks testing:

============================
900mv : +160 - 1961mhz *99.7 frame stability
912mv : +165 - 1999mhz *99.7
925mv : +155 - 1999mhz *99.7
931mv : +150 - 1999mhz *99.7
943mv : +150 - 2012mhz *98.7
950mv : +155 - 2037mhz *98.8
962mv : +150 - 2050mhz *98.8
975mv : +155 - 2075mhz *98.8
981mv : +160 - 2088mhz *98.3
993mv : +160 - 2100mhz *99.6
1000mv: +160 - 2100mhz *99.0
1012mv: +160 - 2113mhz *98.8
1025mv: +160 - 2138mhz *98.6
1031mv: +165 - 2151mhz *98.3
1043mv: +160 - 2151mhz *99.2
1050mv: +160 - 2151mhz *98.5
1062mv: +160 - 2176mhz *97.8
1075mv: +160 - 2176mhz *97.5
1081mv: +175 - 2189mhz *98.0
1093mv: +175 - 2189mhz *98.5
============================
/\ up to 1200mv might get me to 2.2GHZ!!! FTW owners are more lucky!!

Actual frequency is an estimate as it will jump due to temps. (making it even more fun)

CLASSIFIED owners have to stop at 1.093v; owners of all other EVGA cards can test up to 1.2v

Classified has less voltage control than all other 1080 cards and EVBOT is impossible to find.

Many of us are only looking for a BIOS to get us the same voltage as FTW, SC, or FE owners.

Please can we can get a 1.2v voltage unlocked BIOS for Classified 1080's :-) The Classified has overclocking DNA in its blood; together lets see if we can save the Classified brand :-) As it stands most enthusiasts would rather have an FTW due to increased 1.2v voltage control with cross flashed ASUS T4 BIOS.

The T4 is the ONLY voltage tweaked BIOS in existence to go from 1.093v to 1.2v

When I cross-flash the T4 bios to my Classified 1080; my system does boot. But the card will never draw more than 110w and 3dmark scores and FPS are much lower. FTW cross flashed cards do not suffer this problem.

Thanks again.

Last edited by nrpeyton; 11-10-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:47 AM
PURE

Try this first

http://forum.kingpincooling.com/show...18&postcount=4
Old 11-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post

Kingpin, Thank you very much; I also like the little touch it has with Defender to deter people who don't know what they are doing lol. good thinking :-)

Definitely moving in the right direction here; this round Classified owners have really had a hard time and it is a true breath of fresh air to see someone out there who cares :-)

now...Only had about an hour to test this tonight; been really busy with work etc...

but..so far....
Not entirely sure what is happening yet; GPU Boost 3.0 could be to blame.

The tool is definitely doing "something" as my power reading shoots up (or down) on HWINFO64 as I *apply* voltages on the tool. -- even though the reported voltages in Precision/GPU-Z/HWinfo64 stay the same. :-)

Is there another way to get an accurate voltage reading? \/ reason below:

One quick test I did was a +150 clock offset in Precision (about 2152mhz +/- 23mhz) with a normal voltage of 1.093v ...ran fine...(but then when I applied the *same* voltage using the tool it crashed.

I should have a bit more time to play around more over the weekend so I'll have a proper look when I've got more time. Test above might have just been something else....

Anyway nice work Kingpin this is definitely a fantastic step in the right direction.

For the "upcoming" over-clocker; this is where the fun all begins. (Before having the confidence to eventually move onto more Extreme LN2 benching for example) :-)

Best regards, back soon.