kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 07-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Sub-Zero

Default EVGA E-Power & Titan X

I'm having a little trouble with my titan x. The card boots and seems to run beautifully. I just installed my tek 9 fat without any grease to do some quick testing and voltage measurements.

It seems to run amazing with just the pot and no ln2 it was doing 1450mhz firestrike at 1.187v getting close to 60c.

But after letting it cool down I try to apply higher than 1.27v just to make sure everything is working, and I get an almost instant solid colored screen crash.

Is this just because I need to start freezing it and temps are too high, or is this some sort of protection kicking in. It's weird because it's almost right at 1.27v.

My connection looks great, vdroop from power card to actual gpu is very small.

I used 4 copper shims to raise power plane surface and connected epower at 90 degree angle directly to copper and I connected about 7 really good grounds that are very short.

I tried disconnecting evbot and set the dip switches to about 1.3v and I get into windows and it looks fine but about a minute later I get the same solid colored screen.

Hopefully freezing it will fix the problem. Hopefully one of you guys has seen this before.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Sub-Zero

I thought I did a lot of grounds but this pic makes it not look like a lot. I figured 7 good connections was enough. Could that be my problem?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

Did you measure Vmem when colored screens happen?
Cut power good trace on stock PWM GPU chip?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiN View Post

I did cut the trace. I Didn't measure mem voltage at exact moment of crash, will try that now. Also going to try some different drivers tonight.

Thanks for the help, will measure mem voltage tonight.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiN View Post
I measured mem volts at exact time of crash and they are ok, around 1.6v, it's colored screen crashes, they are always solid and usually a different color.

I also went to -100c last night and it happens all the way up to -100c, anything after 1.225v on evbot which is 1.275v around, up until that point it runs beautifully up to 1500core, it's almost instant after hitting apply in evbot.

I tried booting into safe mode and it didn't happen. Maybe it's because safe mode doesnt boost the card the same way to make the crash happen but at -100c I was able to apply anything on evbot and dip switches.

Going to try a new os tonight.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Sub-Zero

Does anyone know the pll mod for the titan x or is it not really necessary. With my 980 it really made a huge difference with cold bug and clocks.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:43 PM
PURE

Something is definitely wrong.
It should behave like a normal card.

1480 seems a little low tbh.
My last card ran 1550.. too bad it had cold issues.
Are you checking droop?

As I always say.. you can never have too much ground.. the more the better..
Have you tried adding more and see what the card does?

For kicks. What psus are you using and how are you connecting them?

I love eraser..................
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by steponz View Post
Something is definitely wrong.
It should behave like a normal card.

1480 seems a little low tbh.
My last card ran 1550.. too bad it had cold issues.
Are you checking droop?

As I always say.. you can never have too much ground.. the more the better..
Have you tried adding more and see what the card does?

For kicks. What psus are you using and how are you connecting them?
Well when I say 1480 I mean with just the ln2 pot installed at about 1.187v with no cooling, it was just a real quick test. My last card did 1550 max on watercooling so I figure with barley any cooling that was pretty decent.

It behaves perfectly normal and runs so smooth at anything below 1.275v.

The droop seems amazing also, only about 40 mv from epower card to actual gpu, like when epower is running at 1.15v, actual gpu volts measure 1.11v, I thought that was pretty awesome.

Going to add some more grounds tonight and report back.

I am using a brand spanking new evga 1600 p2, it's so amazing, I was using a lepa 1600w for a few days and with epower it sucks because the cables are so hard to connect I feel like I am wiggling the epower so much.

with 1600 p2 everything is so smooth. I have never been so excited over a psu.

I'm using in order the 5 gpu spots on psu., I am using some of those double cables with a 6 pin at the end because they are longer
Old 07-29-2015, 09:45 PM
PURE

very odd... can't say Ive experienced the same issue. and I have epowered a bunch.
With low voltage the droop will be low... when you start pushing the droop will grow.

Have you used that epower before? Tin would know better tbh.. Seems strange that it works then with higher volts it fails.

Also in safe mode.. the driver isn't loaded, so 3d clocks are not even called.. so it pretty much means nothing.

I love eraser..................
Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by steponz View Post
very odd... can't say Ive experienced the same issue. and I have epowered a bunch.
With low voltage the droop will be low... when you start pushing the droop will grow.

Have you used that epower before? Tin would know better tbh.. Seems strange that it works then with higher volts it fails.

Also in safe mode.. the driver isn't loaded, so 3d clocks are not even called.. so it pretty much means nothing.
i added some more grounds to the backside and i made sure the trace was fully cut and switched to the 8 pin cables and it seems to have fixed the problem. I just applied 1.35v without crashing, I will try higher on cold tomorrow night. I'm so excited, hopefully I can really push it. thanks a lot for always replying, will definitely try to post some results here.