kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM
PURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
the board with actual bios set very tight third timings witch you cant. go higher than 2666 if you leave auto
NO!! The board can work up to 2800mhz and beyond flawlessly with capable ram and its sets 1st,2nd, and 3rd timings right for each frequency up to 2800.
Timings and frequency set on this board and bios happens AFTER you reboot.
As I said in the guide, please only change memory frequency first and NOTHING else (leave timings on AUTO) and reboot, then check the timings.
You are changing memory frequency then changing timings to manual BEFORE YOU REBOOT, so the timings you are seeing are the ones it sets when it loads defaults initially
Just try it

We had it the other way in previous beta bios so that when you change memory frequency the timings change real time based on frequency(no need for reboot, but I found it annoying that all my timings would get changed if just change frequency) + we felt this was better for the novice enthusiast who doesn't want to mess around with timings at all(leave auto) and only change memory frequency. We can easily change it back to real time timing change for next release bios if it is problematic.

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 06-17-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Ambient

I like the auto memory settings. I may be a pain for some that want to manually control them, but can't you just save a bios profile for that? I would keep the auto control of voltages.

You mentioned a bios bug where you have to clear the CMOS and load defaults. Could this be the reason when I set the memory overclock too high and I reset, I get the same memory code 23 upon reduced frequency settings. Seems I can run 2666 but I tried 2800 last night and got the code 23. Then I reset the CMOS but didn't load defaults and went back to 2666 and got the code 23 again.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Ambient

EVGA will try more configuration of DIMMs and CPUs to sovle these annoying problems.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Ambient

I've been working with the memory issue. My mb is shutting down or freezing in the OS. CPU is stable at 4.8 at lower memory frequencies. 2400 and 2666 will cause the freeze under just setting the frequency. I am not getting any post codes codes. Going into the bios also intermittently freezes. I'm using two dimms in the red slots. 4x4gb g skill trident x 2666.

What to try to get memory stable or is this just an issue where my CPU won't allow that frequency? VCCIO and VSA are at 1.25 as set by auto voltage. All timings are on auto.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Sub-Zero

VDIMM at 1650mV?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Ambient

Yes, it defaults to 1650mv when you dial in the frequency. It reads 1.64 in eleet. I haven't put a volt meter on the board to verify but maybe I should.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

Can you try with 2 DIMMs only first?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Ambient

I am only using two dimms.. Two dimms that have passed overnight memtest at 2666. in the red slots. I can't figure out why the bios is freezing. One of the problems with setting the frequency is that it sets all the timings and voltages and when I try to go back into the bios at 2666, I have to race around to put in new values and save and exit before it freezes. I've tried to raise VCCIO in increments of .25 but I usually get a black screen with a blinking cursor on reboot if I go too high. I've also tried to lower VSA and VCCIO to see if the CPU is being overvolted and this did help at 2400 to get those stable. I went with 1.2 volts.

At 2666, I've had the most problems. I have 4 dimms at 4 gb and I picked two that passed memtest at 2666. Memtest seems to do fine but the bios and the OS are freezing. No blue screens in the OS, just frozen. I have not touched Power management frequency and it goes to 800 MV.

I have a set of trident X 2666 4 X 4gb coming tomorrow because one of my dimms fails at 2666. Going to try the replacements but I highly doubt that will make a difference.

Seems voltages on this board show slightly lower in Eleet as compared to values you are putting in. ie.. 1650 mv dimm shows 1.64 in Eleet.

I will admit that for the most part, I don't get post codes, I just have to shut down and reboot. Occasionally, it will throw a 23 code that I can't get out of and have to clear cmos and start over with the settings. I've tried to lower my overclock to 4.6 ghz but it doens't seem to make a difference.

I guess the best question to ask is what variables do you manipulate besides VSA and VCCIO for freezing? I can loosen the timings but these are supposed to be set already, Yes?

Last edited by Delirious; 06-19-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I am only using two dimms.. Two dimms that have passed overnight memtest at 2666. in the red slots
what about the other two dimms? did you test those separately too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I guess the best question to ask is what variables do you manipulate besides VSA and VCCIO for freezing?
i mean, you may wanna see if the problems persist at higher VDimm. I know that they "should" run spec at 1.65V but it may be worth checking out if 1.675V helps any..

just out of curiosity, did you do a fresh windows install when you set up your new board?

Last edited by michael_rw; 06-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Ambient

One of the other two dimms does not pass memtest, so I have not. I was trying to use the strongest pair, however I will have four new dimms tomorrow to try.

I did a new install of the OS

I can try 1.675 and see what happens