kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Shamino's Lair

Shamino's Lair The master himself, Shamino.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Ambient

Default R4E audio screech/static

Hi all I have been trying on and off for several weeks to track down what's broken analogue audio out from the onboard realtek sound.

Optical audio out works fine but analogue is constant static and screeching. (no actual sound plays its just complete static and hissing/screeching.)
Ive tried rolling back drivers, bios and disabling various onboard components with no luck and am now at a complete loss.

I havent done any extreme 3930K OC past 5.1Ghz and only on water cooling. (no spills!)

Everything else works perfect and haven't experienced a single crash or BSOD in weeks.

Anyone have any advice?

Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 everything up to date. (bios,drivers,etc)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Liquid Hydrogen

i gotta check with the audio guru regarding this
Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Worries Too Much About User Title

some boards have ground point/s. with audio circuit isolation that asus did on the newer boards i'm suspecting a grounding issue. or i'm wrong. most of the time i'm right/wrong
Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Liquid Hydrogen

Optical audio out works fine but analogue is constant static and screeching.

how is the Optical audio setup?
how is the analogue setup? some details
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Optical audio out works fine but analogue is constant static and screeching.

how is the Optical audio setup?
how is the analogue setup? some details
Its just a normal optical cable running from the optical out to a Logitech Z5500 amp. The Analogue is standard 3.5mm stereo jacks also running to the Z5500.

Ive tried my iphone as a source and the amp works fine so its something with the audio out on the analogue jacks. (tried all of them individually and reassigning them with no luck)

It was working originally but one day it just started with static like on a radio thats out of tune. I cant remember if it was after a system change or not as it took me a couple days to notice it as I dont have the volume turned up unless I need it for something.

The last thing I tried was booting in to safe mode with all USB unplugged except Key/mouse and only 1 GPU enabled and forced a default bios 2 to boot that shipped with the board and it was still exactly the same.

The sound driver shows that it is active with led bars working, when I play a sound or the sound test the speakers all go quiet and when it finishes playing the sound the static comes back. Its sounds a bit like the alternator whine you get in a car stereo with a bad earth. Like highspeed electronic static with some high frequency screeching.

Without resorting to pulling everything down, Ill spray some compressed air over the board today and loosen and retighten all the mounting screws to see how I go. Thanks for trying to help, I have only googled 1 other with this exact same problem on this same board and they RMA'd it without getting to the bottom of it!

Last edited by Phatboy; 04-07-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Ambient

Have you tried running something else off the 3.5mm stereo jack, besides your speakers, say a pair of headphones?

Cause i have seen this happen with pro audio equipment when there is conflict between the ground plane of two separate devices. An ipod wouldn't necessarily cause this to show up since its not sharing a ground with another earth grounded device.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijuan View Post
Have you tried running something else off the 3.5mm stereo jack, besides your speakers, say a pair of headphones?

Cause i have seen this happen with pro audio equipment when there is conflict between the ground plane of two separate devices. An ipod wouldn't necessarily cause this to show up since its not sharing a ground with another earth grounded device.
Yes headphones have the same noise unfortunately.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Ambient

Will the R4E support a PCIe x1 audio card at the same time as 4way SLI? Is there enough PCI lanes left?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Liquid Hydrogen

the 1x slot will do it, dont use the x16 slots to rob lanes
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 PM
PURE

I have the same issue with my P8P67 using the front panel audio. When there's data being transfered over the front USB ports it's even worse, but it's not the case as I didn't have it with my old board in the same case :/

ROCKING, ER, CLOCKING IT OLD SKOOL