kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Ambient

Default 980Ti KPE + Classy LN2 questions

I figured this was the best place to ask this question.
I currently have a 980Ti KPE and a Classy on the way. Kind of a last minute impulse couldn't resist the price sort of thing. I know these cards are similar but not equal by any means and would like opinions about running the two together cold.
1. I do have an EVBot (purchased used and have tested) but not sure if the KPE FW would work for both cards and the second issue is I only have one cable and haven't been able to locate another one.
2. Classy tool, I'm pretty certain I can do SW OC with the classy tool on both cards, would like to verify though if this BIOS here is the XOC/coldslow bios or just an OC bios with extended power limit?

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 AM
PURE

Classy bios should be more like an OC bios. Think extended PL + higher fan speeds and maybe some minor adjustment on vps. The KPE bios is for sure much different and I wouldn't suggest to flash either card with incorrect bios. KP card is quite a different design and has a lot of added functionality for XOC. If your plan is to XOC both cards in SLI with two completely different vbios, doubt the NV driver is gonna let that happen most likely due to the classy bios. However for normal air/water OC use it could work. I can't say I've ever tried those two cards together in one system in SLI. Tough to give you a definite answer if works or not. EVBOT should be able to change vcore on both cards simultaneously, but the other voltages no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan45 View Post
I figured this was the best place to ask this question.
I currently have a 980Ti KPE and a Classy on the way. Kind of a last minute impulse couldn't resist the price sort of thing. I know these cards are similar but not equal by any means and would like opinions about running the two together cold.
1. I do have an EVBot (purchased used and have tested) but not sure if the KPE FW would work for both cards and the second issue is I only have one cable and haven't been able to locate another one.
2. Classy tool, I'm pretty certain I can do SW OC with the classy tool on both cards, would like to verify though if this BIOS here is the XOC/coldslow bios or just an OC bios with extended power limit?

Any insight would be appreciated

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 12-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Ambient

Thanks Vince, card should be here in a day or so and I'll try the two on air initially with the OC bios setting on KPE and likely flash the extended BIOS to the classy and see where that gets me. I'll report back with whatever I get. Hopefully help someone in the future.
Do you have any idea where I could get a second cable for the EVBot?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:06 PM
PURE

Great..tell you what, send me a pm I'll hook it up.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Ambient

The the two cards work together so far. I have the KPE on the OC bios and the classy is just stock. Will try the OC BIOS I linked earlier on the classy at some point. Last night I was fighting with 3DVan. For the HWBot comp they want Sysinfo 4.48 and I swear it totally effs up my 3DVan install. Can't seem to get it to run afterward. It locks while the GUI opens. I got that fixed and then it stops just before the CPU test starts. It's not the cards/drivers since I can run Catzilla from start to finish without issue.

Last edited by Johan45; 12-13-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Ambient

Just a follow up after the fact. The cards do work sort of. I found that as I mentioned 3DVantage GUI refused to open. I eventually solved that with the Intel Compiler patch. So I tried going cold and it was just a bad experience overall. I did manage a slight OC on both cards with the calssy tool but SW issues prevailed. I could not get any CPU OC SW to work. If I used it the first CPU test in Vantage would always crash or lock up. Same settings without SW worked fine. i'M ASSUMING IT'S SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE TWO DIFFERENT bios AND WINDOWS INTERACTION. tRIED THE PAIR ON A SEPARATE PLATFORM (X99) AND VANTAGE SEEMED ok THIS TIME but the new TS would not run at all (Win10) and all my 3Dmark saves were corrupt. Wasn't a stability issue I think just SW problems.