kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 06-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Shadyreaper

Default EVGA GTX 980 kingpin questions help needed

Hi let me see where to start

I have a EVGA GTX 980 04G-P4-5988-KR with the 1304MHz Base Clock
1418MHz Boost Clock I run this card on air here are my current settings for my oc

my question is are these settings ok right now its at 1500mhz with 4140mhz on the mem should I need this much voltage on air can I get more outta this card on air my current temps while gaming are around 64c in heaven benchmark I hit around 70-72c Id like to get the most out of this card on air without creating an oven in my PC so any little advice can help this is my 1st nvidia card in a long time and my 1st one this nice Id like to give this GPU to my stepson and get me a GTX 1080 but I dont want this card to be a slouch either so I want to get the most outta it ( I also ran benchmarks with the voltage all the way at stock 1.2v) will I need to water cool this card to get more out of it????? around 1550mhz I get artifacts and its unstable even with voltage turned all the way up also whats the difference between the 5987-KR and the 5988-KR kingpins besides the obvious clocks does this have a reference PCB meaning the EK GTX 980 Classy KPE waterblock wont fit???

Last edited by Shadyreaper; 06-17-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: changed voltage setting
Old 06-18-2016, 02:41 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

5987 and 5988 are using same hardware and PCBs, just GPUs are different and hence the clocks.

At 1500MHz you already very good, and switching to watercooling would not bring you much. Regarding voltage, it was mentioned many times already, Maxwell not quite scale with voltage on positive GPU temperatures, so you just mostly driving heat up by rising voltages for sake of 10-20MHz maybe
Keep airflow in case well, with some nice 120mm fans on inlet and exhaust panels. Don't install cards in slot next to card to allow good air intake.
That's sufficient for long happy life of your KPE.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Shadyreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiN View Post
5987 and 5988 are using same hardware and PCBs, just GPUs are different and hence the clocks.

At 1500MHz you already very good, and switching to watercooling would not bring you much. Regarding voltage, it was mentioned many times already, Maxwell not quite scale with voltage on positive GPU temperatures, so you just mostly driving heat up by rising voltages for sake of 10-20MHz maybe
Keep airflow in case well, with some nice 120mm fans on inlet and exhaust panels. Don't install cards in slot next to card to allow good air intake.
That's sufficient for long happy life of your KPE.
great thanks TiN so one more question will the 5987 handle 1500mhz like my 5988 I was thinking about picking up a 2nd one and maybe setting up some SLI I just dont want to buy one and it not be able to keep up or be able to watercool it if I wanted too
Old 06-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Ambient

TiN can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5987 gpu's are the ones that didn't pass the binning process to achieve the same clocks as 5988. More than likely they won't overclock as well as the 5988 model.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Shadyreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock990 View Post
TiN can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5987 gpu's are the ones that didn't pass the binning process to achieve the same clocks as 5988. More than likely they won't overclock as well as the 5988 model.
damn it man do you think they would at least hit 1418mhz???? with OC or no
Old 06-19-2016, 08:51 AM

5987's couldn't pass full stability testing like 5988's, so the may overclock not as high, or might be overclock same or better with bit of cooling help. Difference might be very little on that very top end of clocks.

Also test procedure for all KPEs is harder than usual gaming rig with good airflow case scenario, so it's just an indication. As with overclocking - no promises, folks. Factory clocks are what the are - guaranteed spec. Nobody can tell you exactly how high each specific card can go , +1mhz or +200mhz over the spec.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Shadyreaper

thanks TiN I have a Haf 932 advance from cooler master with the 200mm fan on the side cover 1 140mm on back 120mm on bottom 230mm fan in front 4 120mm SP fans in push/pull for my water cooler for my CPU on top so the air flow is really good in the case and I guess thats why they call it the silicon lottery when you buy cards to OC

Quote:
5987's couldn't pass full stability testing like 5988's, so the may overclock not as high, or might be overclock same or better with bit of cooling help. Difference might be very little on that very top end of clocks.

Also test procedure for all KPEs is harder than usual gaming rig with good airflow case scenario, so it's just an indication. As with overclocking - no promises, folks. Factory clocks are what the are - guaranteed spec. Nobody can tell you exactly how high each specific card can go , +1mhz or +200mhz over the spec.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:05 PM

It's a general rule to shave off every degree you possibly can to keep OC clocks nice and steady. Your setup seem to be well capable.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Shadyreaper

Quote:
It's a general rule to shave off every degree you possibly can to keep OC clocks nice and steady. Your setup seem to be well capable.
I was able to squeeze out 1518mhz with 1.3v and my temps are around 60c while gaming and 4140mhz (8280mhz) on mem and it is nice and stable

Last edited by Shadyreaper; 06-21-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:20 AM
Shadyreaper

update I was able to use the xoc6C bios to push the 1518mhz barrier to 1577mhz so far I did some more reading in the 980 kingpin section and decided to flash the bios and try and got great results I just wanna thank you and kingpin both for everything you guys do for the OC community