kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Ambient

I tried for about 3 hours now. I will have to reattack this weekend.

Concerns: Voltage control... Set the EVBOT to 1.2v and the multimeter is reading 1.35v. Set it to 1.35, and it is at 1.52v on the DMM.

That is a major gap and someone is going to trust the voltage of the voltage controller. I fear they are going to set it to 1.4 on the controller and burn their card completely.

As I stated over on OCN.. My scores are not going up with clocks, so I have a lot of tinkering to figure out and figure out what to adjust where. Over all results are here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/o...#post_24026691

The change from the previous bios to this one is Exponential! It is amazing how much more stable and clean the cards run. made it to 1699 on Catzilla without issue until it hit the RayMarch test, which can dim the lights in a home, and that only caused a few artifacts. That was at 1.52 volts on the multimeter.

V. Enabling KBoost then switching the SLI on after seemed to work with getting all cards to boost together as well.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

Did you mess with DIP switches on back of card?
Return them to stock condition, then your voltage should match.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:47 AM
PURE

I replaced the XOC bios in the top of the thread today (Friday Taiwan time) with a new XOC bios (980kp_xoc6C.rom). Its better and for sure can help with any issues on booting voltage (1.2v) with kp XOC stock boost clock of 1442mhz. Everything else same as previous (980kp_xoc5C) Try it if you had any booting issues with stock voltage/stock clocks on the bios I posted yesterday

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 06-12-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Ambient

So I tested the XOC6 bios.

Few things.

1)Both Switches behind the card are set to off.
2)Used the Classy voltage tool in this thread.
3) My power limit was 102% max?
4) No temp Limit slider in PX16 (same one from thread)
5) Didn't do anything actually made things worse.

ON the stock cards bios I can do 1600+ it won't crash at stock volts, but it artifacts and no matter the voltage artifacts don't stop. They begin past 1575Mhz. XOC6 caused even more artifacts and bumped voltages up to 1.35 nothing zero difference. Expect that it would chain crash at stock volts when trying 1600mhz (stock bios handles it doesn't crash both artifact though, even if I bumped it up to 1.212V (account for droop 1.25 1.255 etc nothing helped.

Now I don't have any issues in SLI both cards can be locked in @ 1575 on stock bios but anything more is artifact city! So I just don't understand..... Cards Were tested on Air max temp was 50C on core. Not going to block the cards until I know where I can push it max on air.

Any idea's on getting rid of the artifacts? Voltage doesn't seem to do anything. I've gone as low as like 40-45C on core with fans + cool night on air nothing still artifacts above 1575.

This is just plain stupid no amount of volts does anything to help you OC. ON any other card if you hit a wall you bump it up a bit test pass? good if not a little more boom. But these cards I tried every single step from 1.2V to 1.35V and didn't do ANYTHING.

There is something seriously wrong with the voltage requirements on this card that once you hit a wall you can't get past it.

Is there anyway to retain all of the stock bios features for everyday use + the ability to scale voltage linearly with clocks?

Last edited by nyxagamemnon; 06-12-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:42 PM
PURE

- xoc bios has no power limit, so its not an issue..ignore
- no temp limit on slider means nothing, there is no temp limit anything anymore on xoc bios.. ignore
-- The one set of two dips on card your talking about are just hw voltage offsets, nothing more.
- So basically this XOC/OC bios is for overclocking the card all the way on LN2, without limits (the intended purpose of this card and what it is specifically marketed and sold for) Everything that will stop you from completely maxing out the core is removed (pretty much ALL other cards on market cannot currently do this. They all need some sort of physical modification to max the core out completely.
- All gpus behave differently. I found there are some gpus that will not respond to voltage AT ALL (typically higher asic does this, the leakage is too high even at stock) These are the gpus that are first picked for KPE cards because they are the ones which respond THE BEST to LN2 cooling. They are almost always poor on air though, just like yours on air temps. What is the asic of your gpu I'm curious?? Some will gain mhz on latest xoc bios on air, some not. This goes for classified/KPE/SC whatever.
- The 980kp card is designed for extreme overclocking in every way, it scales great on voltage the way its supposed too without ANY limitation. 1.25v-1.68v / 30c to-130c. The scaling you are looking for (1.20v-1.3v 1575-1650) was not the target on this Ln2/extreme overclocking card. We'll try and find a nice balance for the air/water guys going forward, and keep supporting all previous Kp cards in future.
I have to ask, if just a little bit of mild overclocking (air-water temps with some minor voltage scaling is what you want, why by a KPE card that is designed to take the worst possible beating at 2ghz+ extreme overclocking with massive voltage? I'm happy and honored you purchased the card, but this is why evga offers many skus of each gen. They are all tailored for the end user specific needs. Sounds like just normal classified or even SC card would be equally suited in this case. That being said, it seems like the KPE card is popular with all PC enthusiasts not just the extreme guys. That's why I'll continue to try and make the card more balanced no matter what the need for it is Lemme see what I can do on this bios, Ill keep working on it and thanx for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxagamemnon View Post
So I tested the XOC6 bios.

Few things.

1)Both Switches behind the card are set to off.
2)Used the Classy voltage tool in this thread.
3) My power limit was 102% max?
4) No temp Limit slider in PX16 (same one from thread)
5) Didn't do anything actually made things worse.

ON the stock cards bios I can do 1600+ it won't crash at stock volts, but it artifacts and no matter the voltage artifacts don't stop. They begin past 1575Mhz. XOC6 caused even more artifacts and bumped voltages up to 1.35 nothing zero difference. Expect that it would chain crash at stock volts when trying 1600mhz (stock bios handles it doesn't crash both artifact though, even if I bumped it up to 1.212V (account for droop 1.25 1.255 etc nothing helped.

Now I don't have any issues in SLI both cards can be locked in @ 1575 on stock bios but anything more is artifact city! So I just don't understand..... Cards Were tested on Air max temp was 50C on core. Not going to block the cards until I know where I can push it max on air.

Any idea's on getting rid of the artifacts? Voltage doesn't seem to do anything. I've gone as low as like 40-45C on core with fans + cool night on air nothing still artifacts above 1575.

This is just plain stupid no amount of volts does anything to help you OC. ON any other card if you hit a wall you bump it up a bit test pass? good if not a little more boom. But these cards I tried every single step from 1.2V to 1.35V and didn't do ANYTHING.

There is something seriously wrong with the voltage requirements on this card that once you hit a wall you can't get past it.

Is there anyway to retain all of the stock bios features for everyday use + the ability to scale voltage linearly with clocks?

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 06-13-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
- xoc bios has no power limit, so its not an issue..ignore
- no temp limit on slider means nothing, there is no temp limit anything anymore on xoc bios.. ignore
-- The one set of two dips on card your talking about are just hw voltage offsets, nothing more.
- So basically this XOC/OC bios is for overclocking the card all the way on LN2, without limits (the intended purpose of this card and what it is specifically marketed and sold for) Everything that will stop you from completely maxing out the core is removed (pretty much ALL other cards on market cannot currently do this. They all need some sort of physical modification to max the core out completely.
- All gpus behave differently. I found there are some gpus that will not respond to voltage AT ALL (typically higher asic does this, the leakage is too high even at stock) These are the gpus that are first picked for KPE cards because they are the ones which respond THE BEST to LN2 cooling. They are almost always poor on air though, just like yours on air temps. What is the asic of your gpu I'm curious?? Some will gain mhz on latest xoc bios on air, some not. This goes for classified/KPE/SC whatever.
- The 980kp card is designed for extreme overclocking in every way, it scales great on voltage the way its supposed too without ANY limitation. 1.25v-1.68v / 30c to-130c. The scaling you are looking for (1.20v-1.3v 1575-1650) was not the target on this Ln2/extreme overclocking card. We'll try and find a nice balance for the air/water guys going forward, and keep supporting all previous Kp cards in future.
I have to ask, if just a little bit of mild overclocking (air-water temps with some minor voltage scaling is what you want, why by a KPE card that is designed to take the worst possible beating at 2ghz+ extreme overclocking with massive voltage? I'm happy and honored you purchased the card, but this is why evga offers many skus of each gen. They are all tailored for the end user specific needs. Sounds like just normal classified or even SC card would be equally suited in this case. That being said, it seems like the KPE card is popular with all PC enthusiasts not just the extreme guys. That's why I'll continue to try and make the card more balanced no matter what the need for it is Lemme see what I can do on this bios, Ill keep working on it and thanx for the feedback.

I have 4 of your cards See how much I like them I guess I wanted a single slot custom pcb insane gpu that I could run everyday under water at crazy clocks!

Maybe your right I should have bought another type of card but now I have these

Card 1 is ASIC 73.3
Card 2 is ASIC 73.4
Card 3 is ASIC 75.6 I believe
Card 4 is like 77-8 ish?

I don't just want a small voltage increase, Call me crazy but I want to push these cards as much as they will go under water, but I'm trying to test them on air right now to see what I can get before I block them. I don't mind pushing up the volts I know the cards are designed to handle them but it's not reacting the way I was expecting, I've tested other cards before that were none reference and in the mid 70's ASIC and they scaled with voltage on air. If I reduce it's temp to be in the 30-35C would it improve anything I wonder to myself or not?

What I normally do is put the card on the test bench crank it up to 100% fan put other fans on it at night to reduce it's temps then start pushing it till it hits a wall under air add some volts move that bar up or say okay now I can get X on air when I block it and push it more I'll get more.

All the cards I have behave the same which is odd to me. Call it a gut feeling or intuition or something but there is something holding this card back under air/water. It's across the board like this not just isolated.

There's only so much I can do under air I get that, but under water I wanted to try to hit 1650-1700 (or more but I was shooting for this range) with the cards but on air if I Get stuck @ 1575 and it doesn't scale with volts, how can I expect even with 1.4V under water to hit mid 1600's to 1700's?

I would say Vince that you guys built this like a tank. Why wouldn't I want this card in my rig? Hell block it start pushing it like mad, but the thing is I want it there all the time, Not just extreme runs It's like having a insane super car that's street legal vs one that's off road use only

I want to be able to push it as much as I can and use it every single day under water.

I mean call me crazy but you have 3 bios selections normal OC/LN2 so you can design 1 bios for each type and include it with the cards.

Max Air
Max Water
Max LN2

Not just change the fan curve this card can be used at the Extreme top and scaled down accordingly while keeping everyone happy on the level they are at!

You should just print Air/Water/Ln2 haha on the backplate.

We buy the card because if you can hit 2200+ Mhz on it on LN2 well maybe we can hit 1700 under water and use it daily all the time. Maybe we're wrong in our thinking for daily use and this card should be reserved for extreme benching only, but then what's the point of the card to generate marketing materials?

I want to use the card everyday under water at near ambient temps (got enough rad space) and push it as high as it will go and have it sit there everyday and game on it.

if I could run LN2 daily I'd do it just like water cooling but haha it would be a nightmare

Here's the thing mine don't crash they just artifact..

And it brings a smile to my face that you replied! And I know you had a vision to create thr card and how it comes out and what you intended it for. Creating something isnt easy, I know and getting the message across isn't easy either but we buy the kingpin because we belive it's the best card out there and you set a legacy with the 780ti overclocks that the kingpins got. I'd just like some love for the 980 so that we can push it hard and keep it going everyday.

While It's roots were born from ln2 extreme, I just hope we can use it's nature on water as well.

Last edited by nyxagamemnon; 06-14-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:57 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

1700 would be kinda hard for everyday use, unless you run chilled water with really good blocks. Big GPU like GM200 is taking lots of power, and pushing >1.4V makes it even worse.
Having this said, it's still possible but everything has to be right and your temps need to be really good. Try one of your cards on water and see if artifacts caused by overheating.

By saying overheating, i mean that your temperature should be below some level for each clock/voltage setting you have. Yes, even on watercooling with liquid temp +20C you still can end up having GPU too hot. It's pretty easy to test, you can replace your loop rad with 5-10L bucket of water, put some ice in water, test your highest clock, and leave it looping 3Dmark or your favorite game. Note the temp on which artifacts are happening. That's your max temp.

I know it sounds like lot of work to do, but like Vince mentioned, every card is little different, so settings which work perfectly for card A does not mean that everything would be same for card B.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Ambient

http://www.twitch.tv/scarlet_tech/v/6171732 is a link to the video about applying the overclock to 3 GPUs and how it reacts. I have tried removing, clearing, and reinstalling 5.3.5 and 5.3.3.5 and nothing works. Only the GPUs that aren't selected are getting overclocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiN View Post
Did you mess with DIP switches on back of card?
Return them to stock condition, then your voltage should match.
Oh yeah.. I will check that and see what I get. Thank you for reminding me about that.

I have a 4th KPE 980 on the way, and before I put it under water for daily use, I think I will DICE it and see if I can get any fun out of it.

T|N, you are Awesome.. Turned all the dip switches off, and voltage plummeted from 1.34 to 1.202 (measured with DMM) at stock settings. Thank you for thinking about that. Temps dropped from 43c to 38c with that as well.

Vince, as for buying this card for extreme overclocking. I did.. I just don't have the money for LN2 as it is god aweful expensive everywhere I have found it. 20 pounds of DICE ran me $50 a few days ago, so that isn't so bad, and I will be testing out the newest one prior to throwing it in the waterloop. I keep them under water because I love more than just overclocking, and i got all of the cards for a good deal with LN2 pots as well. I couldn't pass up the offer for a giant kit of awesome. As I learn more about XOCing, I will be focused on strictly that, and then keep the used equipment for other fun activities.. like Folding At Home, lol.

Last edited by Scarlet; 06-14-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: I am a dummy and forgot stuff, and posted the wrong link initially.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Ambient

Hello,

I figured it would be better to register and post over here than on OCN about the 980KPE, so here I am.

So I tested both xoc5C and xoc6C and the same issue remain at stock voltage and stock clock, it can't even run Firestrike.
video here.
Manually setting 1.212v did make it pass.
Btw, this card is still on Air, on purpose.

After that I tried what clock I could achieve with different voltage set, results:
1462Mhz @ 1.212v
1482Mhz @ 1.25v
1542Mhz @ 1.30v
1592Mhz @ 1.35v
1622Mhz @ 1.40v
1630Mhz @ 1.42v
I was happy that I could get past 1600Mhz, but the voltage required doesn't really please me.

Today I decided to switch back to my modded ref. bios to compare.
First thing, test at all stock, reported voltage at the DMM was 1.195v under load and it's set to boost at 1500Mz. Why do I need to set 1.212v on the new xoc bios just to get stock boost clock to work then?!

After that I pushed it, without touching the voltage.
I was able to 1596Mhz, repeatedly under Firestrike Extreme.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5090908
video for that first run: https://youtu.be/J8ws5LHIQyg
flickering is the same on the new xoc bios if you are wondering.
more identical runs, same stock core and memory voltage:

I even tried lowering the voltage on the EVBot to 1.18750v and I was still able to complete an entire FSX run.
However, increasing voltage, gradually up to 1.42v didn't help at all to get 1600Mhz.

One could say that with the new xoc there is some kind of scaling when you see the frequency and voltage I've posted above, but then take the tweaked stock bios and see than I can do sub 1600Mhz @ 1.2v, 1600+ shouldn't require 1.4v+ IMO.

I'm well aware that the KPE cards are made to be used with extreme cooling, but I'm quite sure that within the owners of those cards, there is plenty of average joe that will keep it on air or go for watercooling.
You know, some might have just bought it because they can, and if they want to use in on a gaming rig on air, they have the right to do so.
I hope that both category (air and water user) are overclocking it, at least, but the nvidia feature such as temperature target should remain. Not that I care personally and a certain amount of owner might not even browse forums to see there are different bios available for the card anyway. If you come with a new version that scale better, you might want to add that back, especially if it's gonna be shared on EVGA forum and given by EVGA support as the new stock bios, resolving potential issue with 350+ nv driver.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 PM
PURE

Haha well I guess I should be saying a HUGE THANK YOU! then huh?
Aren't the LED's so fun to play with in 4 way? I spent about my whole computex week playing with those lol
Wow those asic are all so high you got some nice ones and exactly in the zone for LN2, but its typical of the type of gpus that are used for the KPE980. Ask any good vga extreme overclocker you know if he thinks your asic % are nice for ln2 overclocking. For great air overclocking and voltage scaling on air over 1600mhz, the asic usually need to be lower like 64-68%
Yah we did the single slot thing for the water cooling guys , cuz no one else was doing it. Same for 980Kpti.
We have a solution for the issue of the best gpus for ln2 not being the best gpus for air/water and we are planning to sell the Ti KP in a very unique way unlike any other card to date. There will be more details soon about it and I think it can help with this situation.

Kimir: Almost 1600mhz on Stock is pretty good. This bios can help out some of those gpus that are stuck in the mid-low 1500's to get closer to a clock like yours, and also corrects a lot of 350+ gf driver related bugs.
Tomorrow I'll post an XOC fully unlocked bios that retains the stock voltage scaling for guys like you that want to use less voltage on air but still be unlocked.
We'll still have a look to see if can get you more scaling at ambient temps tho. XOC bios are not officially supported by EVGA as they cannot be. NVIDIA approved reference bios is completely different bios than any of what I posted here. Reference bios is not good at all for extreme overclocking FYI. Like u said, not all end users who buy this vga are extreme overclockers. It has a lot of features that appeal to you guys as well (single slot, LED, custom cooler, backplate etc) We realize KP cards mainstream popularity despite its sole purpose of extreme overclocking at the highest levels without the need for pcb hardware mods. So we now consider this in future design and updating OC sw for the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxagamemnon View Post
I have 4 of your cards See how much I like them I guess I wanted a single slot custom pcb insane gpu that I could run everyday under water at crazy clocks!

Maybe your right I should have bought another type of card but now I have these

Card 1 is ASIC 73.3
Card 2 is ASIC 73.4
Card 3 is ASIC 75.6 I believe
Card 4 is like 77-8 ish?

I don't just want a small voltage increase, Call me crazy but I want to push these cards as much as they will go under water, but I'm trying to test them on air right now to see what I can get before I block them. I don't mind pushing up the volts I know the cards are designed to handle them but it's not reacting the way I was expecting, I've tested other cards before that were none reference and in the mid 70's ASIC and they scaled with voltage on air. If I reduce it's temp to be in the 30-35C would it improve anything I wonder to myself or not?

What I normally do is put the card on the test bench crank it up to 100% fan put other fans on it at night to reduce it's temps then start pushing it till it hits a wall under air add some volts move that bar up or say okay now I can get X on air when I block it and push it more I'll get more.

All the cards I have behave the same which is odd to me. Call it a gut feeling or intuition or something but there is something holding this card back under air/water. It's across the board like this not just isolated.

There's only so much I can do under air I get that, but under water I wanted to try to hit 1650-1700 (or more but I was shooting for this range) with the cards but on air if I Get stuck @ 1575 and it doesn't scale with volts, how can I expect even with 1.4V under water to hit mid 1600's to 1700's?

I would say Vince that you guys built this like a tank. Why wouldn't I want this card in my rig? Hell block it start pushing it like mad, but the thing is I want it there all the time, Not just extreme runs It's like having a insane super car that's street legal vs one that's off road use only

I want to be able to push it as much as I can and use it every single day under water.

I mean call me crazy but you have 3 bios selections normal OC/LN2 so you can design 1 bios for each type and include it with the cards.

Max Air
Max Water
Max LN2

Not just change the fan curve this card can be used at the Extreme top and scaled down accordingly while keeping everyone happy on the level they are at!

You should just print Air/Water/Ln2 haha on the backplate.

We buy the card because if you can hit 2200+ Mhz on it on LN2 well maybe we can hit 1700 under water and use it daily all the time. Maybe we're wrong in our thinking for daily use and this card should be reserved for extreme benching only, but then what's the point of the card to generate marketing materials?

I want to use the card everyday under water at near ambient temps (got enough rad space) and push it as high as it will go and have it sit there everyday and game on it.

if I could run LN2 daily I'd do it just like water cooling but haha it would be a nightmare

Here's the thing mine don't crash they just artifact..

And it brings a smile to my face that you replied! And I know you had a vision to create thr card and how it comes out and what you intended it for. Creating something isnt easy, I know and getting the message across isn't easy either but we buy the kingpin because we belive it's the best card out there and you set a legacy with the 780ti overclocks that the kingpins got. I'd just like some love for the 980 so that we can push it hard and keep it going everyday.

While It's roots were born from ln2 extreme, I just hope we can use it's nature on water as well.

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 06-14-2015 at 09:39 PM.