kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 AM
PURE

Default EVGA GTX 980 KINGPIN TOOLS

I updated the OC/XOC bios and put together all the files you currently need to make the card fly. Included here is the new OC/XOC bios for 980kp which address some issues that popped up post 350+ drivers. It also addresses some voltage scaling issues with the gpus on air/water. Some cards can gain 50-100mhz where previously stuck at mid to low 1500's, now can scale better with volts at warm temps. 1.35-1.4v seems to be the sweet spot for maxing out on most cards. KP980 is DESIGNED to take voltage and scale with it, so card can easily handle that at air temps even. Memory voltage is the same way, it uses SAMSUNG memory and NEEDS volts to scale 4g+. 1.75v minimum usually and as high as 1.85-1.9v on LN2. The KP PCB runs much cooler and vrm is more efficient than normal CLASSIFIED 980 . Peak gpu temps below barely hit 73c completely maxed.
Bios tested and verified issues:
-- SLI config win7/win8
-- all display output working properly
-- FULL LED control using precision 5.3.3.5
-- better voltage/clock scaling at air/water temps
-- Windows booting issues related to voltage
-- K-boost/force p0 state on 350+ drivers
-- Other compatibility issues found on 350+ geforce drivers

Below are all the files needed including the current classified V controller for software voltage control as well as updated precision 5335 which is a MUST for this card, please see below for more detailed use of new precision features for better overclocking.

980 KINGPIN XOC BIOS'S
--Can help some stubborn gpus scale to 1600's with voltage using air/water cooling:
http://overclockingpin.com/KP980%20x...80kp_xoc6C.rom

--Retains stock voltage scaling for less voltage/per clock on air/water cooling:
http://overclockingpin.com/KP980%20x...80kp_xoc7C.rom

NVFLASH FILES for flashing KP XOC BIOS (use this nvflash only in windows 64/32 depending on OS)(shift + right click in folder window after unpack and select open command window here and type nvflash 980kp_xoc6C.rom then y then YES)
http://overclockingpin.com/KP980%20x...s/CNVFLASH.zip

CLASSIFIED V CONTROLLER (rename the file extension to ".exe" after download)
http://overclockingpin.com/KP980%20x...ssified21._exe

EVGA PRECISION X 5335
http://overclockingpin.com/KP980%20x...p_v5.3.3.5.zip

Both of these cards were previously stuck around 1520-1530. Raising voltage didn't help at all. With new bios, one card can hit 1609 on air and the other 1600. In SLI now they can run nearly 1600mhz together. I included the asic of both cards for reference in the screenshot, these are not binned cards.
In this screen shot, you can see the new pop-up menu that is included with precision-X. Press ctrl + shift + middle mouse wheel while mouse cursor is IN the precision window, and you will get this popup below with a list of new options.
Disabling voltage control is a MUST on 350+ geforce drivers, otherwise the voltage resets a lot. This does NOT effect the ability of evbot /classified controller adjusting voltages. Also the k-boost limitation is good to disable for crt monitors/k-boost functionality when benching. We have also added a more granular clock setting to allow for fine tuning of clocks. I highly recommend to ALWAYS use k-boost when overclocking as it allows for highest stable clock speeds usually. Spent 4 days beating on these cards on air, new XOC bios is nice so far. Try it out and please leave any feedback or issues and if addressable, can update for you as needed

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 06-16-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 AM
Ambient

:-) Thanks for the update. Going to test it out tomorrow.

Would it be a good practice to reload drivers after the flash?
Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 AM
Ambient

Have tried prescribed method, then the old way of --protectoff and -i0 -4 -5 -6 980kp_xoc5c.rom, and each time it abort for the same error.

Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong right now.

Also, Tri SLI setup, trying to flash all 3. No matter the method, I get the same message.

Tried removing drivers, and running the flash again, still nothing.

Last edited by Scarlet; 06-11-2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Forgot info then added more.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:27 AM
PURE

hmm just tried again on another machine, works perfect.
you typed:

nvflash64 980kp_xoc5C.rom if 64bit?
or
nvflash32 980kp_xoc5C.rom if 32bit?

Put ALL the nvflash files and bios file in one folder then open the folder and bring up command prompt with one of the above commands depending on OS.
Should work perfectly if you use the supplied nvflash files.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:35 AM
PURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
:-) Thanks for the update. Going to test it out tomorrow.

Would it be a good practice to reload drivers after the flash?
Nah don't think u have too but can't hurt especially if you were using 350+ driver set. Man I saw a TON of weird stuff with the cards when I was pushing them hard on older bios's. Nv changed a lot it seems.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Ambient

I tried again this morning, right after waking up 3 hours late for work. Nothing worked on the second bios, so I will continue to try this afternoon.

I mentioned before that when I boot, on the Boost and LN2 bios switch, it comes up saying engineering sample before the post screen comes up. That shouldn't effect anything, should it?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Ambient

Got it. I posted over on OCN as well.

Had to download the Joe Dirt NVFlash as provided by NYCGTR (Thanks for the link).

Had to remove drivers or it crashed every time I triggers NVFlash 980kp_xoc5c.rom.

Once that was done, nvflash 980kp_xoc5c.rom worked right away. Flashed both LN2 and OC at the same time to get them updated.

Everything seems to work well so far. I will overclock tonight and see if I can get some decent results. Will post back for you.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Sub-Zero

damn wish I didn't sell my cards already. Would love to try this.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongisland1 View Post
damn wish I didn't sell my cards already. Would love to try this.
I will be starting testing, on water, in about 30 minutes.. Keep your head up, the 980ti is looking to be a sexy beast also. :-)
Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Ambient

You ROCK KINGPIN ! Thankyou.........Acebound