kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Ambient

Regarding the resistors, the idea was to avoid messing with the pot trimmers myself so I was counting on your experience to tell me what voltage you think will do it, and what resistance is associated with that voltage.

Actually, let me be a bit more specific:
- what do you think is a sensible voltage bump to be able to overclock a medium quality 980 chip to the 1600-1650 range? What resistor to add for that to happen?
- what voltage do you think the memory can hold that gives a nice bump in speed without killing it and the resistor needed for that to happen?

What are the best measuring points to check vmem and vcore voltage?

Furmark was only for stability test at worst case scenario, but now that I see it, it's pretty stupid... the thing is drawing more than 400w at 1557MHZ.... it's sure recipe for disaster..

I was thinking that after hard-modding the voltage I will make a bios that decreases voltage by the same amount at lower performance states so that the card only uses the extra vcore voltage when it needs it.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Ambient

I'm going to use this guide on my EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0 (reference design). Problem is I haven't been able to find the vcheck points? Does anyone know where they are?

Also, when I measure resistance at the PLL trimpoint I get ~500 ohm on my onmodded card. Guide says 170-180. Resistance at the other trimpoints are according to this guide...
Old 05-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Sub-Zero

Hey TIN, thank you for the guide. Do you know if this will work on the titan x. Still a little scared to try epower but a little extra juice might be nice.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

It does not matter which card it is, it's all same man
Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiN View Post
cool man, thank you so much. still have a lot to learn. this seems like a decent option for a little extra voltage
Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
do you think this could be a decent station to do some vr mods and possibly an epower mod. i'm having trouble picking a station, i dont do it a ton so i dont want to go crazy but i dont want to waste money on something cheap either. can anyone recommend a decent station that could handle small mods and epower mods.

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-2...A3NVMPN3PV14R5
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

This one is good for general use and small mods, but not for epower stuff.

For EPOWER that will be too puny, you need more juice (120-150W). High power stations like ERSA/Pace/Weller cost ~triple of that money. So if you don't have soldering EPOWERs every week as a job, then just use cheapo 15$ 120-150W iron for that and your station for general use.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:

For EPOWER that will be too puny, you need more juice (120-150W). High power stations like ERSA/Pace/Weller cost ~triple of that money. So if you don't have soldering EPOWERs every week as a job, then just use cheapo 15$ 120-150W iron for that and your station for general use.
thank you very much for the advice, I just bought the last 2 epowers at ocuk. Gonna order a cheap 150w and give it a go.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Sub-Zero

Quote:

I was also thinking of trying a vr mod first but I'm having trouble matching up the points on this guide with the titan. Is there a way I can figure it out. Sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Ambient

Necro...

I just used this guide and have no idea where to check vGPU or vMEM. Can anybody help?

I am assuming once I have removed the 2 resistors I either have to solder then back on or make up for the difference with the VR correct?

I also picked up 50k ohm VR's instead of 50 ohm. I'm pretty sure that's what one of the posters here did. Replacing them with 50 ohm now.

Tags
evga, ln2, mad engineers, maxwell, modding guide, oc, trim pot