kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > KINGPINcooling.com Official Support > Product Support

Product Support Insulation and Usage Guides

Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 PM
PURE

Default KPC VENOM 6.66 mounting and insulation guide |Official

Mounting and insulating this beast is actually really easy if you follow my steps below. I bench a TON with this exact method and never had any failures due to condensation, so most importantly, it works!

Usual goodies you will need:
Flat foam (any kind as long as 1/2 minimum thickness, foam tape, paper towels (shop towels are always best as they are very absorbent, Scissors, grease. brush, rubber bands, and some sticky backed velcro strips. These will be included with a new insulation kit that will come in future venom packs, but its easy and cheap to find at most HW type stores. There are many ways to do this such as sticky backed velcro as I have shown here, or you can can just use one long piece and wrap around whole container to secure the foam.

After you grease up the board around the socket, start the insulating by making the typical gaskets and foam pieces that go around the motherboard to seal out air space. For the pieces around the socket, I always double up the foam tape as it makes it the perfect height.

Slide the backplate and rods through the board, then grease up the sticky side of the pieces you just made and stick them down on the board around the socket. Next comes the paper towel gasket, then 1/2 foam unit doughnut before u mount the container.

Now time to make the Venom foam wrapper. This is really an easy way to insulate the container as the this container is specially designed to have the largest practical footprint within the socket area. Because of this there is no room for the insulation to go between the rods and container like on F1 and for full pot temps, its better to put the rods under the insulation so this really is the best way. Size it up first on the unit before you cut it out so it will wrap all the way around the container and the ends meet perfectly together and also u want it to be the correct size vertically as well so its provides nice compression on lower foam piece.

Insulation style is an individual thing and one of the cool things about extreme OC is that everyone has a little different spin on how they do it. I am gonna go with an EVGA theme because of the lovely Z77ftw model used for the shoot , but of course how u choose to do it is entirely up to you. I cut the velcro strips so that the two narrower "positive" sides of velcro fit vertically on each end of the foam wrap as pictured

Now time to mount the container and finish.

Wrap the foam piece around the container and rods to join the two smaller strips of velcro with one double wide "negative" one so that it locks the wrap in place. You can use this wrap over, and over again now every time you bench by simple use of the velcro.
You can see on the backside of the unit where they join

Using a paper towel wrap around the insulated cpu pot is recommended as a final step as it will catch any water that melts off when torching the pot keeping it out of socket area. Its not 100% necessary tho:

Venom is a beast on the z77 platform. From its inception on AMD phenom platform, its designed to be the ultimate container at full pot temperatures with regards to overall speed, internal volume, and the ability to hold a huge heat load while benching. As always good luck and have fun!

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 09-28-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Sub-Zero

That's a pretty cool setup, thanks for sharing it with us!
The velcro, especially.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Ambient

I do love the toothbrush for vasoline application, I hadn't thought of that.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Sub-Zero

what kind of insulation is that gray wrap piece? doesnt look like your normal armacell closed-cell foam...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 AM
PURE

Some stuff I found locally, armacell works equally as good, just thought it looked better . Wrapping the insulation around the outside of the rods/container can be done many ways obviously, for me this way works best and so easy to remove/put on the foam every time I bench.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Sub-Ambient

id do this to my F1 Dark, but the round tubing holds the thermal probe in place as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
Some stuff I found locally, armacell works equally as good, just thought it looked better . Wrapping the insulation around the outside of the rods/container can be done many ways obviously, for me this way works best and so easy to remove/put on the foam every time I bench.
since your wrap piece isnt entirely flush on the whole surface of the container, do you get some frost forming in between the pot and insulation wrap?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 AM
PURE

Actually it goes flush this one is just a little fresh for pics in guide, I wrap it really tight and eventually after a few mounts it forms to the sides of the container and rods and fits just as tight as slip on piece of insulation. Its really no difference.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_rw View Post
what kind of insulation is that gray wrap piece? doesnt look like your normal armacell closed-cell foam...
For the gray part... I've always used Frost King FV 516... It is sticky on one side so you can just cut two pieces and then stick them to each other to get a thicker piece that won't stick to, or leave any gunk on your pot.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Ambient

Check this Velcro from HobbyKing. I have used it before and it has great hold. Perfect for this type of job.