kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > KINGPINcooling.com Official Support > Product Support

Product Support Insulation and Usage Guides

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
PURE

Send a message via MSN to XtremeCuztoms Send a message via Skype™ to XtremeCuztoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFDuke View Post
Warning!! When you get below around -150 dragon skin can't hold up to the cold and it will crack. I've been using it for over 6 months nw. I've used it on motherbards and graphics cards. I've seen it fail with both. It fails on graphics card big time on the back in the gpu area when going sub-zero. So now i use Dragon Skin n the front of my gpu's and eraser or 1/2in foam on the back.
If your using it on a motherboard then i suggest only skinning up to the cpu cage and then using eraser for the rest of the job. You should also be careful not to let the liquid get into or near the socket. It can flow into the pins and make a real mess of your board.

PS: For everyone... Imageshack links have a hijacker don't click on them. Find another place to upoad your photos bud. Imageshack = pos.
good info there... thank you. even while using dragon skin i have always used eraser around the socket. i never got the dragon skin to close to the socket area, mainly around the other items away from the socket.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
PURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by G H Z View Post
nice dewar

Not sure about that dragon stuff but if it works who cares.
yep, so far so good. two sessions of -150 to -180C and holding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
back breaker dewar what brand is it?

double insulation good idea.
it's an mve cryogenic 60L

Quote:
Warning!! When you get below around -150 dragon skin can't hold up to the cold and it will crack. I've been using it for over 6 months nw. I've used it on motherbards and graphics cards. I've seen it fail with both. It fails on graphics card big time on the back in the gpu area when going sub-zero. So now i use Dragon Skin n the front of my gpu's and eraser or 1/2in foam on the back.
If your using it on a motherboard then i suggest only skinning up to the cpu cage and then using eraser for the rest of the job. You should also be careful not to let the liquid get into or near the socket. It can flow into the pins and make a real mess of your board.

PS: For everyone... Imageshack links have a hijacker don't click on them. Find another place to upoad your photos bud. Imageshack = pos.
hummm...this is just my opinion only here....

but dragon skin is not an insulation substitute(this seems to be the biggest problem), but only to help keep water off of board. my board is pretty much covered with foam around the socket area and on the bottom of the board. i also took the bracket off and covered the cpu socket before pouring DS over everything. the warmer the surrounding parts the better the DS will hold up. (just my line of thinking...)

as for imageshack....never had a problem with any of my links or it hijacking my browser...but what would you suggest as an alternative? should i decide to switch. thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Ambient

I too had insulation covering my gpus and boards. The dragon skin will still crack in the coldest areas. yes the warmer areas of the board will be ok and it will be protected from moisture/condensation. Just try and keep an eye out after about 5 or 6 runs of cooling dwn and warming back to ambient is all i am saying. NO!! Dragon Skin is not to be used as an insulation. I think we all know that.

As far as images. Why not upload the images directly from your pc? I am surprised that you dont get that AVG hijacker when you click on those links posted from image shack. Alot of people have been complaining about it. We have banned Imageshack from the OCA forums because of their crap.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
PURE

Quote:
I too had insulation covering my gpus and boards. The dragon skin will still crack in the coldest areas. yes the warmer areas of the board will be ok and it will be protected from moisture/condensation. Just try and keep an eye out after about 5 or 6 runs of cooling dwn and warming back to ambient is all i am saying. NO!! Dragon Skin is not to be used as an insulation. I think we all know that.

As far as images. Why not upload the images directly from your pc? I am surprised that you dont get that AVG hijacker when you click on those links posted from image shack. Alot of people have been complaining about it. We have banned Imageshack from the OCA forums because of their crap.
thanks for the advice!!
that's exactly what i do..since im knew to ln2...im constantly taking stuff apart and looking for potential damage. or water run off

as for avg hijacker..im using avg now..been using it for years...tried 2011, but it had major issues so im still using 9.0...gonna try 2011 now and see if i get the hijacking stuff.

also, not everyone seems to think it's not insulation..they only come to that conclusion after it cracks and the board is flooded with water...lol (speculation of course) would love to use conformal, but evga frowns about that.

side note:
this was taken right after i finished a 6 hour run. now what i did was...after i was out of ln2 i basically just rebooted on last time at stock everything and then just played with the board for about 30 minutes. once the temps were finally in the positive range...about 30C on tcase...i shut down. then pulled the system apart to check for any leaks or potential damage or parts that i might need to better address.

Last edited by johnksss; 02-22-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 PM
PURE

just adding a bit to my thread...here is my p67 insulation...no DS this time...only pj and foam..

my 580 insulated...it needs work i think.

this was right after benching for about 4 hours. what you see on the board is the pj i spotted in possible places for leaks. as you can see...no water what so ever..

Sager NP9873/P870DM3-G | 6700K | 1080N SLI | 3K 120Hz | 512X(2) OCZ RD400 NVMe| 32GB RipJaws 3000 Mhz | Killer Wifi | 660W | TB3 |

Quit jumping on examples as if they are topics. A favorite forum mistake.