kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Sub-Ambient

What size drill bit is required for a K Type probe?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Sub-Ambient

How does it look?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Sub-Ambient

I presume you have a temp probe already.
Take the probe and hold it next to your set of drill bits looking end on.
Find the drill bit that is one size larger than the outside dimension of the probe.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 AM
PURE

Pots come with probe holes drilled now
Best drill bit size to use is 1/16th or smaller, and it looks like you did a great job hardass. Now just use some thermal compound to fill in any void around the probe once you tape it into the hole. Dab the probe is a blob of it before you install it and your set!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
PURE

Looks good Chuck
Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
sb cant touch this

Yup, nice hole.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Sub-Ambient

Thank you all.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Sub-Zero

Nice job Chuck....

Sorry, OT @ Vince....your guide says only to go a few mm...but I drilled mine right to the center. It seems to me that temps in the center would be more accurate Why only go a little ways in?

Actually, Mark was watching me Livestream a couple weeks ago and commented that it seemed my F1EE was swinging more than what he had seen in the past. This is probably why, right? I'm just getting more accurate readings.

Why wouldn't you go all the way to center?

Heat Team IRONMODS
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
Nice job Chuck....

Sorry, OT @ Vince....your guide says only to go a few mm...but I drilled mine right to the center. It seems to me that temps in the center would be more accurate Why only go a little ways in?

Actually, Mark was watching me Livestream a couple weeks ago and commented that it seemed my F1EE was swinging more than what he had seen in the past. This is probably why, right? I'm just getting more accurate readings.

Why wouldn't you go all the way to center?
By own assumption on given subject, probe hole mount has been like that and Vince have not changed this, but continued to use it, as a so called "fixed variabel".

Statements from The Boss, Himself. Is predictably statements given with the probe drilled in the side a bit. (subject on temp/control), aswell is the data collection while benching under LN2, we "all"do (most parts).

Ofcourse are we as overclockers looking for accuracy.

In this case, our accuracy is based from the side of the pot.

Peace
Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
PURE

Similar to what ollie said. I've always taken temps from the same spot since the beginning. Getting a slightly diff reading in a different location doesn't really mean anything in terms of getting more clocks or better performance, its all relative. You could also take your reading not even from the pot at all and from the center of the ihs on the cpu (drill into ihs for probe). This would probably give you the most accurate external reading aside of getting a probe on the core of the chip, but the +/- isnt worth the pain in the ass it would be to drill out the ihs of every cpu you try .
I've seen it. Me and macci were playing around with taking temps from the ihs of the cpu and the base of the pot during quakecon and noting the differences in readings under load/idle conditions. Tbh, the difference seemed negligible to me and again controlling temps at that point can be easily done at the usual spot on the pot with no gains in performance or more "accurate" pouring achieved due to more accurate temp reading from closer to center of the pot, so why bother? Its too dangerous to drill to the center of the pot as in the chances of breaking the bit go up ten fold.
Hipro did this to one of my f1's once in front of me and I almost had a heart attack waiting for the bit to snap. The difference in temp reading isn't worth it imo and i've already always taken my temps from same spot flawlessly with no issues. I wont even change the probe, ive used the same one for a lot of testing.