kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
PURE

Send a message via Yahoo to chispy
Question Volt mod gone bad or software problem ?

GTX285 running at PCI-E 2.0 16x @ x4 help needed.

Guys i have a problem and i would like some help to fix an issue with a GTX285. Ok here goes the story , this is a BFG OCX GTX285 1GB Rev.1 , i bought this card the first day they came out so its already quite old. The card its volt moded via vid bridges pins and i have conected them via solder to get 1.3v. its been like that for over a year now. This card was completely dead after a long LN2 session months ago, but i was going thru my big pile of dead hardware and i thought of re-testing the card before going to the trashcan, i cleaned all the sticky armaflex on the back and front of the card as much as i could , i removed the clear coat of nail polish that i applied to the card too as well as all the vaseline on the card. The card was looking like brand new after been hooked to a TeK 9 gpu pot for 5~6 months , i clean it up really good . I use MX2 on the core and the same pading that came from factory for the memory , installed the stock cooler and place the card on an old Asus P5B Deluxe P965 Mobo and voila , Bingo , woow the card post it right away and came back from the death , boot into windows and i installed latest whql drivers 197.13 rebbot and awsome the card its working flawlesly im happy until i opened GPU-Z and oh sh*t the card its running at pci-e 16 @ 1x , i reset it the card , uninstalled and reinstalled drivers again , i boot in windows and now the card its running at pci-e 16 @ 4x ,i said to myself well its a software problem and here i went flashing the card with an evga FTW Bios wich runs aboslutly great on this card , flash was done succesfully. re-tried the card agin with new Bios and guess what the card still running at pci-e 16 4x. I tested in another mobo eVGA 790i Ultra and yep you guessed it right the freaking card its running at pci-e 16 @ 4x. I have troubleshoot until not available but i cannot get the card to run at the full pci-e 16 @ 16x. Please help this poor soul out , im getting frustrated because the card runs flawlessly in games and overclocks like crazy and stable for benchies even on stock cooler , but the results are very low because the card its been bottleneck by the pci-e 16 running all the time at pci-e 16 @ 4x , any ideas , help , guidance will be trully appreciated , i would like to fix this card to use it in my 24/7 gaming rig. Thanks in advanced.

Regards: Chispy

By chispy at 2010-04-02
But im vinboe's bytch
Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 AM
PURE

Take a rubber eraser from a pencil and carefully rub it over the gold contacts on the card. Make sure to do both sides.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM
PURE

chispy...have you tried flashing back to original bios?....idk man thats all i can add
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
PURE

@Planet - Thanks J , i did try that trick but is still running at 4x .

@packet - Thanks , i had flashed that card like 10 times already with different bios and the original one too but no go :/ still running at 4x.
But im vinboe's bytch
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Liquid Hydrogen

checked the caps running from gold finger upwards into gpu? if you drop any here then that will cause it.
if not then maybe the x16 lanes running into the gpu got broken at the gpu BGA joints when clamped too hard on pot or u can try clamping gpu hard against pcb to make them contact.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:12 PM
PURE

Talking GTX285 easy fix when stocked at pci-e 16 @4x :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
checked the caps running from gold finger upwards into gpu? if you drop any here then that will cause it.
if not then maybe the x16 lanes running into the gpu got broken at the gpu BGA joints when clamped too hard on pot or u can try clamping gpu hard against pcb to make them contact.
Thanks Peter , i verified as you said and i think the gpu core its damage , easy to fix , i destroy the card with a Hammer and done problem fixed , i did that out of frustration after countless days trying to fix the vga but it was unfixable . I thank you for trying to help me my friend, as always you have a kind soul , appreciated much.

Now little pics of the fix for my GTX285

By chispy, shot with FinePix A340 at 2010-04-04

By chispy, shot with FinePix A340 at 2010-04-04

By chispy at 2010-04-04
But im vinboe's bytch
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

u,richbastards this GTX will remember you in hell
Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Liquid Hydrogen

see how easy it is to fix it?