kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Ambient

Post GPU Voltage Monitoring with Asus RIVE VGA Hotwire and MSI GTX680 V-Check Points

Hi Guys,

This is my first post.

It looks like no one has tried this. HiVizMan referred me to here from the ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) Forum.

I have the ASUS RIVE (Rampage IV Extreme) and would love to use the RIVE's VGA Hotwire feature with the MSI GTX680 Lightnring's V-Check Point feature to monitor the GPU's voltages.

The MSI's V-Check Point is meant to be used with a Multimeter to monitor the VCORE, MEM, and PLL voltage ONLY (no voltage adjusting, just voltage monitoring).

Here is a link to MSI GTX680's V-Check Point (See bottom left of page, sadly this is the best documentation I found so far):
http://event.msi.com/vga/lightning/gtx680.html#OC

The MSI card comes with 3 V-Check Point cables. Each cable has a white two pin connector on one side (that goes into the GPU's header seen in the above link's picture) and a red and black cable coming out of this connector where the Multimeter probes go (or in my case Hotwire cable(s) go).

V-Check Point Cable (3 of these exist):
([1][2]) White 2 Pin Connector
/----\ Red and Black Cable
Red Black <--- Multimeter Probe points on end of Red and Black cable

The ASUS Hotwire is also designed to monitor these 3 GPU voltages (VCORE, MEM, and PLL), but it can additionally overvolt which I don't care about right now. It looks like the Hotwire does not have a regular Positive and Negative side (like a Multimeter/V-Check Point requires to monitor voltage) and uses the black pin for "VSENSE" (Voltage Monitoring) and the red pin for "Overvolting" (Voltage Adjustment).

The RIVE has two 6 pin headers to monitor up to 2 GPU's:

VGA1 Hotwire Header:
________________ CORE MEM PLL
BLACK VSENSE PINS: [1] [2] [3]
RED OVERVOLT PINS: [4] [5] [6]

VGA2 Hotwire Header:
________________ CORE MEM PLL
BLACK VSENSE PINS: [1] [2] [3]
RED OVERVOLT PINS: [4] [5] [6]

So both ASUS and MSI provide a two pin connection for using their appropriate features with Hotwire and V-Check to monitor the 3 GPU voltages, but I don't know if they are compatible.

What I am thinking is that it may just work if I connect them directly, as the ASUS really is just a Positive and Negative connection but they use a different naming convention. However, I am also thinking what may be needed is to connect the black pin VSENSE of Hotwire to the red cable out of MSI's V-Check Point and then jimmy rigging the second V-Check Point cable (black cable out of V-Check Point) to some motherboard/GPU ground. The overvolting pin of the Hotwire would then be disconnected (not needed) in this case.

I don't have a solid Hardware background and don't want to move forward until I understand what these Hotwire connector are and if it's safe to tinker around with these connectors. It would be devastating to fry my 500 dollar motherboard and 500 dollar graphic card.

Please advise, thanks guys!

Also, I have read Shamino's awesome guide on Hotwire, but I did not find the details I needed.

Last edited by Hagi; 11-21-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Ambient

connect msi red to asus black

not to use msi black and red asus

You do not need any GND as motherboards and graphics cards have the same GND and asus hotwire is connected to GND
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Ambient

Thanks Zzolio,

That worked. I am happy to see how ASUS makes it simple by tying ground internally, but at least they can document this to save a lot of confusion.

I just connect Asus Hotwire Black to MSI V-Check Red and am able to read the GPU voltages just fine.

Tags
asus, hotwire, msi, rive, v-check point