kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Sub-Ambient

Default help reggie save his motherboards please

been frying mobos left and right benching on dice. Killed 3 this weekend I just got a dewar and am hesitating getting it filled because of this. Pretty sure its becuase I am pushing too much power through them. Usually 8 phase various 775 boards/chips around 1.9-2 vcore. Is there a formula I can use to calculate a safe, or at least safer amount to send through the vreggs. good 775 boards are getting hard to come by so any help would be great.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM
PURE

Are you sure it's not something else Reg? You say you killed 3 all in one weekend. This leads me to believe one of two things. 1) Either you spent an inordinate amount of time prepping three boards, in anticipation of killing them one by one, or 2) Maybe there's something amiss with your prep method.

Can you elaborate on how you're getting the boards ready for sub-zero?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Sub-Ambient

no, not sure at all. I thought I had it down been through about a dozen or so sessions with no problem and for some reason last weekend I fried 3 of them. After they are all cleaned and ready to be retested the same thing happens smoke from the vregg area. I bought a few g41 boards to retest my methotds so if I have time ill give it ago this weekend. Q what do??? One of my buddies tells me he just leaves the stock heatsyncs on them and puts a fan on top is that enough????? It usually happens when I get near the 2.0 vcore mark.

My method is. I plastidip the back of the board and just put eraser around the socket area. Vasoline in the socket. The first one I killed I spent around 4 hours making sure that there was ample eraser so it was'nt lack of time. I remove the nb/vreg sinks and put a thin layer of vasoline over the vregs and then put the syncs back on. After theat two shop towels and then neoprene. When I remove everything boards are usually dry as a whisle aside from a little bit of frost that makes its way to the top of the eraser and hits the towel

On another note congrats on the move, youve been killing it lately everytime I look at your profile your moving up. The top one hundreds been a long time coming for ya.

Last edited by reggiesanchez; 01-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Sub-Zero

Could it be your PSU? Something wrong with the 8-pin ATX plug?

nVidia (ab)user- at both hardware and verbal level
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Sub-Ambient

Or CPU? Have you tested it still works?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 AM
Sub-Ambient

sorry double post.

Last edited by reggiesanchez; 01-16-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Sub-Ambient

No I defintiley fried some vreggs. When I plugged it in to check after I cleaned it 3 days later one started bubbling and went up in lames right in front of me. The other board just sparks. got 2 psus and they are both working fine now powering a different rig. Everything points to insulation I suppose but like I said it was not due to lack of effort. One of the boards I fried was tpower i45 do you know how :\:\:\:\:\:\ hard those boards are to find.......well im sure you do. Oh yea used different cpus in different boards and they both still work. I was shoving 2.0 vcore but I thought the two boards could handle it. V reggs were well cooled. Is it ok to cover them with vasoline????? Cause i did, but have also done that in the past with no problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

why do you ever need 2.0 vcore? :\
Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Sub-Ambient

too much????? Thats what I really wanted to know how can I tell what a board can handle safely. Still pretty new to freezing. Maybe im just killing vreggs with too much juice???

Last edited by reggiesanchez; 01-16-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
sb cant touch this

It's possible you fried the boards with too much vcore, but I doubt it. I think you shorted them, post a couple setup pics so we can see if anything looks suspicious.