kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > TiN's Dungeon

TiN's Dungeon The mad engineer's home at KPC.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN
Talking Cross-flashing boards or P6X58D Prem BIOS on P6T Deluxe

... or having nice thingys from more expensive motherboards models for FREE

Not a secret that vendors usually make one or two-three motherboard layouts with all tracerouting and then just making a lot of variuos models from these few physical identical PCBs. Take maximum layout, dont solder extra controllers, PCI-Es, limit amount of satas and you get new cheapo model.

But physically it's same board, same thing.

AAAND It uses same routines in BIOS files as expensive shyt board.

So, lets cross-flash, meaning flashing bios from high-end boards into not so high-end board models

I'm decided to move to 1366 socket system, after few LNFD 1156 socket burns and many-year Socket 775 crazy ocing Time for 1366.
I've bought Core i7 930 retail chip, gotcha ASUS P6T Deluxe board and assy all teh stuff together.

=====================
So all described stuff below was made using single rig with next specs:

i7 930 retail with DIY waterblock on it.
Xtremelabs.org Waterchiller (2kW, 15m of 1/2" tubing, subzero liquid temp)
ASUS P6T Deluxe , PCB rev1.02G
2x1GB OCZ DDR3 FlexXLC
8600GT graphics
32GB Intel X25-E
WinXP

For start i've flashed P6T Deluxe bios 2101 and start oc.
I was ocing all this stuff, and got turbo multi dropping in wprime/3d06 when cpu clock >4.4GHz. It drop to 21 from 22. That's no go for me.
BCLK limit got stuck at 220MHz , even on short LN2 check.
I've tried all, but no help :\

So I've decided to try "WRONG" bioses on this P6T Deluxe ASUS EZ Flash dont let you flash Rampage II bios or non-correct bios. I've go another way, to flash everything what i want.

I've took my own engineered uC/FPGA devboard and took off SPI Flash chip where BIOS reside from motherboard into my board

I've assembled it bit messy, but it's my early prototype. It have plenty of different stuff, but all that buttons, interfaces, FPGA ALTERA chip, memories arent used for this thread, just SPI interface to "BIOS" chip and USB interface to computer to download and verify BIOS file into chip, via that ATMEL CPU present on this board. So it's used as hardware flasher for ANY BIOS.

I wrote some code into this board to make it knowing about SPI flash commands, protocol and such low level stuff. It's supporting now all standart 8/16/32mbit bios chips. From any board

First try was Rampage II Extreme BIOS...

Flashing...putting chip back into mobo....poweron....no go...black screen...no beeps...

OK-OK...back to my device, reflash now to P6T WS PRO bios.

Wow

And...

This is what i was hunting. Tons of people woo and scream about this TDP Turbo power limit , which is NON PRESENT in P6T/P6T deluxe boards, only high end WS/RIIE boards have this override added.

This is with limit enabled: Look at Wattage number in everest on botton.

And now limit disabled

That bios value cuts reported power taken by CPU near twice. Chipset thinks that we have much power space now, and dont cut turbo even with 8 thread load and +97C cpu temp lol! That test was with stock box cooler.

BUT...I'm too much crazy. I want more nice thingys in my motherboard.
What is most advanced asus x58 board after Rampages?
yah, latest P6X58D Premium. I've looked at its layout..VRMs,PLL,SIO are prettly much the same as P6T. So wth, i will try!

Took SPI chip back to my programm unit. Flashed latest P6X58D Premium 0703 BIOS to it.

Put back....

hahahaha...works

And P6X dont have SAS controller on board, but my physical P6T Deluxe have it. So now it's detected as usual storage controller on bus, not even having bios support for it. The drawback - i cant disable it now But thats not problem.

But loook.. Now i have new stuff in bios...

It wasnt present in P6T Deluxe nor in P6T WS PRO.
Slow mode. This mean QPI multi set to x12
Nice for 2D tests on max speed.

So, ive set it...and...

Remember, this is on board with 220MHz bclk limit on "native bioses"

Remember, it's just engineering, not a miracle. Flashing bios from more high-end model don't bring you new interface, extra PCI-E slots don't grow on board themself, nor SATA3 or etc hardware controllers. But 60-90% of board is made standard, IOH connected to QPIs at CPU Socket just same way as any other board, ICH connected to IOH by same pins, same DIMMs. The only difference is PLLs (Clockers), Power curcuits, controllers, various extra crap like leds, buttons, fans, embedded wifi's/ssds and so on.

If you decide to crossflash, take care to be sure that target board have SAME VRM chips, SAME PLL and SAME SuperIO as your real hardware. That will almost guarantee you that nothing real wrong can happen.

So verdict:

ASUS P6T Deluxe 1.02G board working nicely with latest ASUS P6T WS PRO BIOS (this adds Turbo TDP/TDC Power Limit to be disabled!)
ASUS P6T Deluxe 1.02G board working nicely with latest ASUS P6X58D Preminum BIOS (This adds QPI SLOW MODE for P6T, and helped me to push bclk 10MHz more)
ASUS P6T Deluxe 1.02G board NOT working with latest ASUS Rampage II Extreme BIOS

I'm almost sure that other P6T motherboards can work with P6T WS and P6X58D bioses too .

As for other boards, I'm almost sure another vendors have left interoperation support too. I've flashed Sapphire AMD mobos with DFI bioses, Flashed P5B Deluxe to P5B premium, my teammate T0lsty flashed Maximus Formula to Rampage Formula, and all these stuff works

So go flash your EVGA E760 into SR-2 and solder extra 1366 socket, you all lazy overclockers

I don't have Rampage III Bios to try lol
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Sub-Zero

Send a message via Skype™ to FatAlbert

more and more crazy stuff from you TiN

nice!

I think bios from R3E won't work as R3E doesn't look same as P6T series

I don't write posts because I have nothing to say when you are extreme I am a noob without good hardware to extreme oc and only with dreams
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM

LOL But at last I had tried

ASUS P6T Deluxe 1.02G board NOT working with latest ASUS Rampage III Extreme BIOS (, no surprise, yea )
ASUS P6T Deluxe 1.02G board working wrong with latest ASUS Rampage II Gene BIOS (boots, but biosblock corrupted, there is some hw protection for sure)

Last edited by TiN; 04-08-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM

P6T7 WS Supercomputer BIOS works in P6T deluxe too. But it's not as good as P6X58D Premium's BIOS.

Rampage II Gene BIOS in P6T Deluxe tried to go, but still not compatible :

P6T7 WS Supercomputer works ok

So.

BIOSes which work very nice in P6T DLX except native one:

P6T WS PRO (This one gives Turbo limit disable option)
P6X58D Premium (This one gives QPI x12 multi available for P6T DLX)
P6T6 WS PRO (same as WS)
P6T7 WS Supercomputer (same as basic P6T Deluxe bios)

Not working properly (system cant boot)

Rampage II Gene (Bootblock detects incompatible hardware LOL )

Not working at all

Rampage II Extreme
Rampage III Extreme
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
PURE

Very cool tin..

I love eraser..................
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Sub-Ambient

Very nice Tin
Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Sub-Zero

Send a message via MSN to nigel

great work Tin
would this work for my GA-EX58-UD4P (rev. 1.0) :unsure:
I am willing to try if I am sure I won't kill it

The duck is here together with the Frozen Duck
Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Evil kid

Great info TiN. I've got a P6T Dlx and was always thinking about flashing it to a PX58 as well. Are there any benefits besides giving the option for slow mode?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 PM

I did not tested CPC performance nor all over features from mobo yet. That will be later during my review for P6T DLX with these bioses included But i'm almost sure everything else is the same. Maybe some minor features differ.

nigel

Wrong flash for sure bricks the board 100%. Thats not any problem for me , because i built myself standalone flash programming hardware. But there is very easy and safe method to still check if crossflashing possible. Just get BIOS chip from somebody with more advanced model and swap it into your board. E.G. take bios chip from P6X58D and put into P6T . This is same result. If it work - then you can try usual reflashing. Still you will need to override/disable wrong mobo ID protection.

Last edited by TiN; 04-08-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Ambient

I'll copy and paste the msg that i wrote at EVGA forums:

Hello everyone,

I got myself on a dilema, i need desperetaly a faster computer (I work with 3D and I'm doing a massively big, 6 minutes long fullHD animation right now) and i'm really going to buy a SR-2 with a couple of xeons.

The problem is, i really (i mean REALLY) need a faster computer, but the board is not available yet. I use, at my office, two core i7. A C0 @3.6 on a P6T deluxe V2 and a D0 @4.0 on a Rampage II Xtreme. So i'm planning buying two hexa xeons (X5650) put em on my P6TD and R2E untill EVGA finally release the SR-2, and when they do that, i put my i7s back to the old boards.

The question is, can i put those 5600 xeons (i'm gonna buy the X5650) on those ASUS board without problems? I know i'll need a bios update, but is it all i need? I remember i see a guy testing some ES xeon (X5677?? i dont remember) on a Rampage II Gene, but i don't know if he modded something to make it work.

Please, someone help!!

Tags
cross-flashing, killing hardware, mad engineer