kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Ambient

Default Modding Gigabyte 1155 Board with Mosfetheatsinks?

Hello,
a few days ago my Asrock 1155 Mainboard broke, somehoe i managed to damage the bios. As i didnt want to give up my 2700k so fast, i bought a new board over ebay, the prices are high and theres not too much choice, because the 1155 boards are still popular, but not produced anymore.

So i got a good offer for a Gigabyte Z68 AP- D3, which looks almost new, a nice little, simple board which should be ok. Im usually never running more than 4,4 ghz anyway on all cores.

What i didnt like too much: My old board hat complete Heatsinks over all mosfets from all 8 phases. Pretty stupid D-Pak-Mosfets, but they were all cooled. The new board has got 1 pretty nice heatsink, but it seems to cover only 50% of the mosfets. The mosfets that are right over the cpu, are "naked"..

im planing to go maybe 1,3-1,35 Volt on a long term and was wondering if it makes sense to cover the uncooled mosfets, i got stuff here, some Pads and heatsinks left from my morpheus GPU-Cooler, so i could manage something.

Thing is i really dont wanna take a risk, like shortening something. Is is ok to put 1 stripe of pad on the mosfets and put a aluminum or copper heatsink on it? Or must all mosfets have a single small pad and heatsink, so there is no way the can make contact? Would contact be bad anyway?

So why did gigabyte use only 1 heatsink anyway, maybe it has something to do with up-and downside mosfets and the ony that are under the heatsink get hotter?

ATTACHMENT: BOARD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gigabyte-Z68AP-1.jpgkingpincoolinginfo.jpg (277.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

There is no much point in the heatsinking plastic MOSFET packages in this particular case.

As far there is bit of airflow from CPU fan - you will be fine as is, without any mods
Old 06-17-2016, 05:57 AM
Ambient

ok, i have a far more serious problem now anyway ...that board is making problems recognizing my 980 classy...not that i have no picture, i cant even find the gpu under windows anymore...
so sickening...
Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

Try other slot? Check if any CPU skt pins bent?
Wipe GFX PCIe slot connector pads with pensil eraser just in case.