kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:49 PM
Ambient

So not wanting to spend a few hours reballing the original crappy core, I bought and put on a $20 ebay core from china. The core is 3% faster than the last, which is less than I was hoping for, but still faster. Memory clocks much higher on this core. Stable memory clocks went from 2200 to 2350, which is the highest I ever heard of GDDR3 reaching under stock 1.5V.

I upped the voltage from 1.035V to 1.11V, added a few more caps, and got 660MHz. Not bad for 1.11V, but not good either. I tried higher but the clock scaling with frequency plummeted and I stopped getting artifacts if the clocks were too high, just hard crashes at the exact same points in benchmarks, which makes me think the power circuitry was getting pushed too hard.

Vantage run:

Here's 3dm06. For some reason it is underperforming severely. I tried old 9.12 drivers and no improvement. At these clocks it should be mid 13000s.

In case you were wondering, no, the original GPU and GPU radiator did not stick out the side of the laptop.

Still not happy with the clocks. I want 700Mhz core or bust. I have more plans for the card.

Last edited by Khenglish; 06-30-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

I always thought overclocking laptops is for people with high tolerance to pain. Couldn't bother that much myself.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:58 AM
Ambient

I find overclocking desktops to be too easy. You just download a program and with no effort get sizable overclocks.

Give me the same chips but with garbage VRMs with horrific filtering, and now you have room for improvement!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

It wasn't the way back in the old days, hah But I get what you talking about, yeah.