kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > The Lounge > Davy Jones Locker

Davy Jones Locker Off topic, anything goes.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Ambient

Default Has this ever happened to You?

So today I was playing some Ark Evolution Evolved on my 980 Ti Kingpin. Now I Always had some trouble with drivers crashing but overall always had awesome performance that puts just about all other video cards to shame. Never really OCed it too much because I was waiting to put it on water before I did. So it's never really been hyper stressed or anything like that, never got hotter then about 73C. So its had an easy and safe time.

But today it just kept crashing drivers. So I reinstalled the drivers, game stopped locking up went on about my business, and I heard a really weird sound, and then red garbage (artifacts) goes all over my screen, A loud POP sound and a sweet burning smell. Computer shuts off, tries to restart, all fans go to 100% nothing on screen, I shut it off. (I thought my MOBO had Blown a capacitor).

Didn't take long to find the smell coming off my Kingpin (heart drops), but to make sure, I carefully removed the heat-sink, and man never thought I would see that, the Main GPU processor had blown black gunk around (I think its silicon, not sure) Smell was really bad. Definitely toast.

So I'm already submitting an RMA with EVGA, but what I'm wondering is what the hell caused this to happen, a defect or something, Idk if it was heat related, the card was showing no signs of overheating at all, (The week before I was playing Titan-fall and the heat never got past 65C). And in the future is there any way to find a failure like this before it could get so bad it could have damaged other parts of my computer? (Fortunately it didn't)

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:23 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

Did you had any photos? Perhaps it was bad heatsink contact with GPU core.
Tbh, it's first time I hear something like this...
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 AM
PURE

I saw this happen once on 680 classy, because the contact was very bad (almost not touching) with the hsf for some reason. The gpu can blow like you described for sure in this situation. It's never a bad idea to check the torque on all the screws of the card.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Ambient

That's interesting, so it could be possible defect in the heat sink itself. I would freely admit I didn't think of that. It kind of explains all difficulty I had with it.

I spent many hours trying to overclock that old card and the farthest I could ever get it was 1470 Mzh without bad artifacts and driver crashes. I tried many things to get it further, including many helpful guides on these forums (thank you very much). I was always stonewalled. I even opened my window in the dead of winter, opened my case up and turned my room into an ice box (still couldn't get it to the 1500mzh mark). I then thought it would be a bad application of thermal paste, opened the card up, cleaned it out, re-pasted it and made sure everything was absolutely tight, still couldn't get it to go any further.

So at that point I just figured I got a bad hand in the silicon lottery, and just set it back to stock until I would maybe water-cool it later, month passes and poof, dead.

Got a new card back from EVGA RMA. Shout out to EVGA for making the RMA painless unlike some companies I know. This new card, on the default bios basically (no changes to it whatsoever but messing with precision) went to 1500 Mzh and beyond in my first session of overclocking it. There ASIC quality was the same. Really happy with that.

I didn't make this post to complain or anything, just never seen a chip do that before, always thought they would burn out or thermal shut off before they got to that point. Guess I'm just unlucky