kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > Hardware Modding

Hardware Modding Soldering, deciphering datasheets, tricks and tips.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Ambient

Question Weird problem with volt modded GTX 480s

Hey all,

So I have 2 volt modded GTX 480s that are showing odd problems. I have another volt modded one too but I think it's gone (no core volts )

Basically, with both cards with DMMs connected to the voltage read points I get volts for both VCore and VMem that look correct, but the motherboard (X58 4way Classy) makes a longish beep on start up and appears to boot but there's no video.

I tried booting with a GT610 in the first slot, and one of the 480s in a far slot and the system booted with video from the GT610, yet the 480 didn't show up in windows. Oddly enough, the BIOS said '2 GPUs' on startup...

Any thoughts as to what may be wrong or are these cards gone?

Oh, if it's of any help I have one working volt modded 480 that I was able to boot into windows with and then run 3dmark11.

(So that's 4 x 480 total... 1 probably dead, 2 doing weird things, and 1 working)

Last edited by SiriusDragon; 09-11-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Ambient

Are you using a Hard mod? If so I'd remove the mods and verify that they actually function properly.

If I remember correctly one of my 480's went out in the same way so they might be dead unfortunately.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Ambient

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR4G00N View Post
Are you using a Hard mod? If so I'd remove the mods and verify that they actually function properly.

If I remember correctly one of my 480's went out in the same way so they might be dead unfortunately.
Sorry for the late reply...

I'm using hard mods, and the cards are covered in eraser and foam for insulation. So I'm not sure if I can remove the insulation without damaging the cards further

It's annoying as I'm pretty sure they did all work before I added the insulation :-\