kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > The Lounge > Members Rides

Members Rides Brag about your actual ride or your daily pc rig.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM
PURE

Default Project: Ice Dragon

Phanto-Size. The current name for my NZXT Phantom which I thought was quite clever - Phanto from Phantom, Size because of the enormity of the case, and Phanto-Size because it's worth fantasizing about. However, it wasn't anything special. Just a bog standard NZXT Phantom with a few quiet fans added:

Enter Project: Ice Dragon. Plans for this include NZXT blue LED strip lighting (ordered and on its way from in10sive [a guy on the local forums where this was initially posted]) and a dragon laser cut into the side panel. The case's name will be Ice Dragon, and this is the dragon design I plan to use:

Alternatives include the following, but it will almost certainly be the above:

The dragon cut-out will be backed by a piece of frosted perspex, or alternatively I may invert the design that only the borders are cut away although I'm leaning heavily to the design above with the coloured areas being removed. Elsewhere (possibly the front as well as (definitely) the side) will be a square with clear perspex and the following etched onto it:

冰龙
Ice Dragon

Clear perspex with etching causes the etched text to glow in the color of the light hitting the "thin" edges of the perspex, so it will be surrounded by two short blue CCFLs.

I opted for simplified Chinese as traditional Chinese looks too busy for my taste:

冰龍

Also ordered and on their way are a few more Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14s from LandmarkPCs to get this PC absolutely silent (there are currently two fans which can be heard over the hard drives, and the drives are set to spin down after ten minutes of inactivity). You'll be surprised how much silencing this rig has cost me: R1,000 ($125) on 120 mm fans, R600 ($75) for the Accelero cooler on the graphics card, R200 ($25) for the Asus DVD writer to replace my old Samsung, R600 ($75) for the TRUE Black, R120 ($15) for I don't remember which fan it is in the PSU...

I have not yet thought any further and will update as I go. Chilled water cooling is an option, possibly even a TEC as either can go sub-zero and would be very fitting for the name of the project, but reverting to back air cooling from a custom water loop is one of the best things I've done as the machine is easier to work on and less risky to move with the water gone.

If anyone knows where I can find a 250w TEC about the size of an i7 CPU and which can run off of no more than 17v (the most I can get out of a PSU) please give me a shout.

ROCKING, ER, CLOCKING IT OLD SKOOL

Last edited by Oj0; 02-20-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 AM
PURE

That's the only picture I have of my rig right now, I'll get another one with the 580 and RAM.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM
PURE

Looking forward to this
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Liquid Nitrogen

Send a message via MSN to Chiller

looking forward to see updates here, but why is you mem cut out of pic ?
3dmark05 : 51K
3dmark03 : 187K
3dmark01 : 126K
Wprime32m : 3.233sec
Wprime1024 : 1m30sec320

http://www.hwbot.org/user/hybridchiller/
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
PURE

The picture wasn't meant for here I'll post another picture with the RAM visible and the GTX 580 installed soon.