kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > Overclocking & Modding > EVGA Overclocking

EVGA Overclocking Dedicated forum for EVGA Overclocking, my other job :)

Old 11-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Ambient

Thumbs down 980ti kpe high failure rate - kingpin care to comment?

i bought a bstock one from evga and died in 5months with blackscreen crashes, i got my rma back and its been working great

but now looking at several posts on evga/ocn there seems to be a flaw in this cards since they keep dying on everyone, some ppl are on 4th or 5th rma ...

anyone know wth is the issue? its not temps or voltage... im gussing its a caps issue from the behavor.

https://forums.evga.com/3rd-EVGA-GTX...-m2661625.aspx
https://forums.evga.com/Evga-Gtx-980...-m2590732.aspx
http://www.overclock.net/t/1600877/2...back-need-help

should i get evga to switch me to a 1080 classy and stop bothering with rma the 980tikpe?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Ambient

Hey,
Recently mine died too. I had 2.5 years without any problems. It was the first time that GPU died on me.
TBH I think that it dies as frequently or even less imo than other cards but it could be a little more visible as it is more premium of a card compared to the others.
The RMA of EVGA (at least for now from my perspective - not finished yet) is top notch in my opinion so I'm not worried about it that much.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 PM
PURE

So is your card still working OP? Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was locked out of here for awhile . This broken ass forum will get nuked soon btw.

Think there was around 4k 980kpti made, they usually sell around 3-5k of KP's every gen. Its super limited compared to the other skus, and really expensive to make. I haven't heard internally of abnormally high failure rates compared to other skus.

On a side note and purely speculative on my part I don't care for the fan stop function. I think it heats up the card unnecessarily. Testing shows its fine and within thermal spec, but in a case on a hot summer day with cards roasting.. who knows man. I would always suggest to use a mild to aggressive fan curve on any graphics card, not just KP. Longevity>Acoustics
and if using performance bios or forced 3d state the card will run at the limits thermally and throttling etc. See no point to use that but that's just me I do understand that people value silent PC's too.
EVGA's customer service is the best in the industry, they handle things well. Glad they got you a replacement, hows it running btw?