kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > The Lounge > Davy Jones Locker

Davy Jones Locker Off topic, anything goes.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Ambient

Default Electronics Knowledge

I guess this is maybe an awkward question to ask. Where can I get knowledge on electronics? More specifically on the workings of video cards and motherboards.

I am taking an electronics course in my school and we have learned about resistors, how capacitors and chokes work (with more emphasis on doing the actual math behind adding them to circuits). This knowledge is, however, a little parallel to the workings of computer components the way I see it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd like to learn how to identify where I should add caps to reduce ripple, how to figure out vMods myself and that kind of thing.

Any light on the subject?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

Learn power supply designs, different topology, start from linear type, and then buck DC-DC convertors, then syncronous DC-DC, then multiphase. Learn basics of digital logic designs, their pros and cons. Learn a lot, including basics of high-speed ASICs maybe . Then you will be able to apply your knowledge to DC-DC curcuits used on videocards and motherboards.

Keywords to google:

DC-DC SMPS
Syncronous buck
boost convertor
transient response DC-DC
syncronous rectification
multiphase DC-DC
PWM
voltage ripple
AC ripple
high-speed digital design
high-speed decoupling

enuf for start
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Ambient

I have read up on everything, but high-speed digital design as I can only find books on that subject. Would you recommend I buy one?

I'd also like to learn, for instance, what problems can surface when taking components to the very edge. By this I mean: when should I add capacitors to help supply power? Should I add any kind of power filtering between the power supply and the components? What happens to different components at sub-zero temperatures?

Basically anything that can give my hardware an edge over the competition.

Your post has been very helpful, TiN. I have learned a lot on the subjects you posted. I focused on understanding the concepts rather than the math since I feel that might be more important at the moment.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Volt-Nut :)

Send a message via ICQ to TiN Send a message via Skype™ to TiN

never bought any, used only pdf/web-site resources.

Quote:
what problems can surface when taking components to the very edge.
All possible problems, actually.

To answer "simple" question "when i should add caps" you have to know in detail all that stuff i described in prev post.

Also usual filtering would not help, coz your load is not something passive , but hungy lots-of-amps chips which take power very rapidly and non-consistent (instant 10w to 200w peaking during few ns is usual thing).

Learning all this stuff will take month for beginner for sure.
Concepts w/o math science are junk in general in this topic.
You have to know basic laws for inductive/resistive/capacitive curcuitry aswel.

Try to google some "how to design high-speed digital board". This will show you some examples and techniques but will not answer "why do it this way, not that"
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Ambient

I have a very basic understanding of the laws behind inductors, resistors and capacitors. I know how to calculate overall impedance, capacitor charge time, just nothing fancy.

Does the spec sheet for the voltage regulators normally say maximum output power and ripple? How can I go about calculating the power draw of a video card under maximum load when heavily overclocked/overvolted? Is it the same as for processors?

Thanks a lot for the help TiN!!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Liquid Nitrogen

Send a message via MSN to Karmakazi

this thread is very helpful...

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenboy View Post
super shammy ,you're a mad scientist, i always like looking at your bench setup it always looks like you trying to resurrect frankenstein
Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Ambient

Ive been reading that guide over and over again. Great stuff by Shamino. The thing is it doesnt cover how to do voltage mods. In order to figure them out do I just find the power regulater, look up what leg sends the output voltage and parallel a resistor to the one present?

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Sub-Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Ive been reading that guide over and over again. Great stuff by Shamino. The thing is it doesnt cover how to do voltage mods. In order to figure them out do I just find the power regulater, look up what leg sends the output voltage and parallel a resistor to the one present?

Thanks for the help so far!
vmods are easy

its the oldes trick in the book

most vmods are connected to FB (feedback) pin and a simple R x 20 from the fb pin gives you the desired VR to use on the FB pin

i know where theres a guide but they might shout at me here if i put it up :P

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=992

it wuzent me
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Ambient

Thanks a lot! Great explanation right there! Soon to come 7300 LE volt mod! Lol!