kingpincooling.com

Go Back   kingpincooling.com > The Lounge > Introductions

Introductions Say hey after signing up.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Ambient

Default Hello, designing a rig, thought I'd lurk here...

Hello,

I am building some dev stations for Unity/Unreal development and while coming up to speed on the state of the performance graphics rig, became impressed by K|ngp|n’s hot rod approach.

I have been tasked with making some default rig recommendations for the VR community and am approaching it with a “good”, “better” & “Rip your face off” versions. Presently our Firestrike 1.1 is "good enough" for VR, I hope by associating with this forum I can tune up better, & perhaps develop a design thesis for a Rip your face of version.

I am attending Oculus Connect this week and am reporting back with recommendations.

Any input in designing something would be welcome.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 PM
PURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRLab View Post
Hello,

I am building some dev stations for Unity/Unreal development and while coming up to speed on the state of the performance graphics rig, became impressed by K|ngp|n’s hot rod approach.

I have been tasked with making some default rig recommendations for the VR community and am approaching it with a “good”, “better” & “Rip your face off” versions. Presently our Firestrike 1.1 is "good enough" for VR, I hope by associating with this forum I can tune up better, & perhaps develop a design thesis for a Rip your face of version.

I am attending Oculus Connect this week and am reporting back with recommendations.

Any input in designing something would be welcome.

Cheers!
Awesome! Welcome to the forums. That "rip your face off" version sounds interesting
Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
Awesome! Welcome to the forums. That "rip your face off" version sounds interesting

Originally we planned that version for the 800W SLi Capable case, but feedback from Oculus Connect is we need to focus on a single card solution and slimmer case (and constrained power supply).

The power supply vendor will be able to source us a 500W unit in two weeks, and a 600W at the end of the year, so we'll need to focus around 500W first before ripping off faces with a max effort card towards year end.

Presently I just found out if we switch to Mini PCIe/M.2 SSD, we'll have (3) open HDD slots so we can put the VRapps and Steam drive into Raid0 and still have a back-up HDD slot.

Am presently scouring the web to "get smart" around mATX/CPU configs. Need something with onboard WiFi/Bluetooth that can also handle a mid-range and high range CPU. Ultimately the whole machine is just a "life support system for a video card" so I don't think we need to go crazy on CPU, just ensure it won't be a bottle neck.

Tags
computer graphics, product design, virtual reality, vr